Ubuntu 16.04 Radeon HD7850 radeon driver CS:GO 0-4fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04 Radeon HD7850 radeon driver CS:GO 0-4fps

I have recently upgraded to ubuntu 16.04 because software center asked me and I didn't know anything about 16.04 so I thought sure why not!?

Turns out fglrx is no more in 16.04 so I need to go back to the open source driver.

I've been visiting this site for years keeping an eye on the open source vs propritary driver performance comparisons but I've never experienced anywhere near the performance that the tester gets out of his hardware. I figure he is always running the latest and greatest experimental software. I just need to wait a few years till the advancements trickle down to the stable packages.

But now CS:GO and probably everything else is unplayable. I can even tell AisleRiot Solitaire is running below 60fps.

Is this the kind of performance I should expect from the open source driver? If you think it's possible to get 20fps then lets proceed! But where to begin?

resolution: 1920x1080
    vsync: off
    multicore rendering: enabled
    all the other graphics options set to lowest
    Last edited by Sharft 6; 05 August 2016, 10:02 PM.

Originally posted by Sharft 6 View Post
    I have recently upgraded to ubuntu 16.04 because software center asked me...
    Those OSes keep asking stupid questions, isn't it?

Comment

Even two years ago the open stack was running ~3/4 as fast as fglrx, and I believe things have improved since then:

https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...PTS-SOURCEEN94

You should be getting more like 100 fps at 1920x1080 today IIRC.

You may have leftover fglrx bits interfering with the open driver... what is the output of glxinfo | grep renderer ?

Did you uninstall the fglrx driver before the upgrade (recommended practice) ? Guessing "no", so there's a good chance the radeon open source kernel driver is still blacklisted from the fglrx installation.
      Last edited by bridgman; 06 August 2016, 12:07 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        But where to begin?

Use padoka ppa the have latest mesa. If that does not help and 7850 is a GCN 1.0 card, you can use kernel 4.8 amdgpu driver and amdgpu-pro opengl driver. Amdgpu-pro opengl driver is little faster than mesa.
        I installed padoka and upgraded to the latest mesa. Didn't notice any performance difference. I then starting installing amdgpu driver and realised I'm actually on kernel 4.4 not 4.6. So I have updated to 4.6 now. But the unity menus are not showing after logging in so it's not usable. 4.4 is doing the same thing now too. Ironically falesafex is also failing. But I still have the trusty terminal!

what is the output of glxinfo | grep renderer ?
        error: unable to open display
        Last edited by Sharft 6; 06 August 2016, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Just curious, why install the amdgpu driver (guessing you mean amdgpu pro ?)... it does not support your card.

Also if you *are* installing the amdgpu pro driver you want the stock kernel not 4.6.

Please un-install the amdgpu pro packages and then try glxinfo again. You need to get back to a stock 16.04 before messing around with anything else.
          Last edited by bridgman; 06 August 2016, 12:46 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Please, debianxfce, stop recommending the amdgpu SI development branches for end users.

People should be using the radeon stack already integrated in 16.04.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Just curious, why install the amdgpu driver (guessing you mean amdgpu pro ?)... it does not support your card.

Also if you *are* installing the amdgpu pro driver you want the stock kernel not 4.6.

Please un-install the amdgpu pro packages and then try glxinfo again. You need to get back to a stock 16.04 before messing around with anything else.
              because i thought it was necessary to replicate the amazing benchmark results on this site. Although to be fair i don't need amazing results. just if we can bump it up to 20fps that will do.

Ok i have removed amdgpu-pro, reinstalled mesa, and booted into stock kernel 4.4. This didn't seem to change anything though. All of the unity menus are still missing. But I have poked around a bit and discovered I can right click the desktop -> open in terminal...

glxinfo | grep renderer
              GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
              GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
              Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)

Comment

Originally posted by Sharft 6 View Post
                OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
                OK, that's the problem... you are running with software rendering (on the CPU), not using the GPU at all.

Can you pastebin your dmesg output somewhere ? Guessing the kernel graphics driver is blacklisted.
                Last edited by bridgman; 06 August 2016, 03:01 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

OK, that's the problem... you are running with software rendering (on the CPU), not using the GPU at all.

Can you pastebin your dmesg output somewhere ? Guessing the kernel graphics driver is blacklisted.
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Yep, no sign of a graphics driver anywhere.

If you grep radeon /etc/modprobe.d/* do you get any hits ? Don't worry about radeonfb hits, just radeon.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 06 August 2016, 03:14 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X