VEGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, another question.

It seems there's also evidence of an RX 490, which would be released this year.

@bridgman: Any comments ?

Comment

No comment, sorry.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yes, that is the plan.
        Is it safe to assume this is about launch day support for the free drivers, as we are in the corresponding subforum, or launch day support in general, which is probably only for the pro stack?

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
        Hmmmm, I'm hoping for a VEGA "Nano" with GDDR5
        What sense would that make? Not gonna happen. Vega is said to satify the enthusiast market.

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        even if was is just a bigger Polaris (and we know it isn't, HBM2 instead of GDDR5).
        Well, I think that would not be a problem at all, compared to the rest of the driver development.

It seems there's also evidence of an RX 490, which would be released this year.
        Might be an OEM branding or dual GPU board, so nothing really interesting. Or Polaris@TSMC... might be interesting actually, but I'd not expect that due to the wafer supply agreement AMD has with GF.
        Last edited by juno; 09 September 2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
          Is it safe to assume this is about launch day support for the free drivers, as we are in the corresponding subforum, or launch day support in general, which is probably only for the pro stack?
          Both, hopefully with free drivers available sufficiently far before launch that getting them running on a new card will be less effort than it was for Polaris.Trying to actually have solid drivers in released distros by launch, but don't think we will make it for Vega other than in rolling-release distros.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Both, hopefully with free drivers available sufficiently far before launch that getting them running on a new card will be less effort than it was for Polaris.Trying to actually have solid drivers in released distros by launch, but don't think we will make it for Vega other than in rolling-release distros.
            Thank you very much.
            Sounds great! Polaris launch was actually nice already, IMHO. Despite the little problems but great compared to what we are used to using Linux

If this remains true, I'm quite certainly going to grab one. Along with a decent summit ridge, if it fits
            Last edited by juno; 09 September 2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

bridgman

So, kernel 4.10 is in the picture, target kernel for Debian Stretch.

Where is VEGA ?

Comment

So, kernel 4.10 is in the picture, target kernel for Debian Stretch. Where is VEGA ?
                Not sure I understand the intent of the question. We were never planning to upstream Vega support in 4.10.
                Test signature

Comment

So, kernel 4.10 is in the picture, target kernel for Debian Stretch.

Where is VEGA ?
                  This picture? It is in the Summer Triangle AFAIK, but it might be Stretched to be 4.10 (so april 10. but probably not later than july the first when it crosses meridian)
                  Last edited by dungeon; 19 December 2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Nice one, dungeon

@bridgman: Sorry, let me rephrase,
                    With VEGA planned Q1 2017, I would have expected the VEGA commits already happening.

Comment

Nice one, dungeon
                      Well, AMD emloyees are not allowed to talk about unreleased products... so we can only guess

Also as Vega is there you will have a driver, so don't worry ... and once that happen someone will start asking about where is Navi code and so on

@bridgman: Sorry, let me rephrase,
                      With VEGA planned Q1 2017, I would have expected the VEGA commits already happening.
                      Of course i understand what you want there, you want Vega supported on already released stable kernel at the time of the hardware release

But i think bridgman already answered somewhat that there is no plan to match that, as that usually happen later
                      Last edited by dungeon; 20 December 2016, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X