Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMD Iceland PowerPlay Patches Appear

Phoronix: More AMD Iceland PowerPlay Patches Appear

Huang Rui of AMD today published another 15 patches surrounding Iceland PowerPlay support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"However, by default the PowerPlay support is still disabled unless manually setting the powerplay module option."

Comment

PowerPlay should be on by default these days, shouldn't it ? I'm a bit fuzzy on whether there is a "master" config file or not...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        "However, by default the PowerPlay support is still disabled unless manually setting the powerplay module option."
        Powerplay is enabled by default on Tonga, Fiji (and now Topaz) since it's the only power management implementation for those asics. For Carrizo and Stoney, there are both powerplay and legacy dpm power management implementations and powerplay is currently disabled by default, but that will change soon. For CI asics, there is only the legacy dpm implementation so there is no powerplay implementation.

Comment

Can somebody explain what's the difference between Oland, Iceland and Topaz? According to [1] they looks like the same chip, but I think it's an error.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units

Comment

Oland/Hainan are "late SI" parts (SI shader core, but some newer uncore blocks IIRC. I believe one of the two had a display engine & MM blocks while the other was intended for use only as an add-on to a CPU/APU with integrated graphics & MM but don't remember which is which.

Iceland/Topaz are "early VI" parts and have a VI shader core. I believe both parts include display and MM blocks, so the distinction is more a marketing one.

There are a couple of places in the Wikipedia page where someone replaced Oland with Oland/Topaz but did not update the architecture column to GCN 1st / 3rd generation (or 1.3rd / 2.7th ) which makes things a bit more confusing.
            Last edited by bridgman; 29 July 2016, 01:52 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Iceland/Topaz are "early VI" parts and have a VI shader core. I believe both parts include display and MM blocks, so the distinction is more a marketing one.
              Oh, is there some Topaz/Iceland with DCE really? I tought only Oland (from those mentioned) can be with or without, if true for Topaz should be at least mentioned here:

How i read this, i would say those does not include neither display nor MM blocks So clearly just PX chip to offload heavier 3D operation on it.

edit: or if combined with AMD APU then as Dual Graphics (DX branding) too OK, but that on Windows BTW isn't it you got Carrizo+Topaz laptop unintentionaly last year? So i guess you should know better even just as a user

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
              Can somebody explain what's the difference between Oland, Iceland and Topaz? According to [1] they looks like the same chip, but I think it's an error.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units
              Branding mostly make confusion there, it is hard to say what it is without device id and even revision id... there are several same device ids (or pciids) where only by rev id distinquish what is really is.

it is not an error, just confusion is high as markets are like that Especially If potentionaly AMD misused same pciid early for some PX oland and topaz, then confusion for the user can be even strong high

But basicaly oland is SI (GCN 1.0) and topaz is VI (GCN 1.2).
              Last edited by dungeon; 29 July 2016, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Slightly OT but I just read that RX 470 and RX 460 are coming soon (4th and 8th of August?). But esp. 460 is supposed to have a lot of power gating options for it is also supposed to be targeted at notebooks, too. Found the infos here (German) http://www.golem.de/news/polaris-gra...07-122407.html but I guess a lot of other sites will also publish this info.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  But esp. 460 is supposed to have a lot of power gating options for it is also supposed to be targeted at notebooks, too.
                  Yeah it target every market, you have it on wikipedia too... Polaris 11 is RX 460 as a consumer card or RX 480M if mobile or WX 4100 if workstation card...

If in DX (dual graphics) setup or if found in some embeded producs, etc... P11 can have named by marketing to whatever and who knows what
                  Last edited by dungeon; 29 July 2016, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Slightly OT but I just read that RX 470 and RX 460 are coming soon (4th and 8th of August?). But esp. 460 is supposed to have a lot of power gating options for it is also supposed to be targeted at notebooks, too. Found the infos here (German) http://www.golem.de/news/polaris-gra...07-122407.html but I guess a lot of other sites will also publish this info.
                    Finally, I need a 460 or two here.

Comment

Working...
                    X