No announcement yet.

unable to install Radeon R7 M360 graphic on centos7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RHEL 3.10 kernel has quite a bit more new HW support in it than the name would suggest... more than even "chocolate", maybe "neopolitan with sparkles".
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The RHEL 3.10 kernel has quite a bit more new HW support in it than the name would suggest... more than even "chocolate", maybe "neopolitan with sparkles".
      He, he, if it does not work in this case like seems it does not, even utter "neopolitan with sparkles" kernel loses its purpose

What do you think, can we push this user to bisect "neopolitan with sparkles" kernel to found if that kernel do right thing for his hardware? I think how we just can't

Instead it is much easier to look in centos forums, where several people fixed their Skylake by upgrading kernel Looking even more around i think 4.8 kernel silenced most compliants about SKL which in turn is something what current PRO does not support... beautiful, we are very near to found why this does not work
      Last edited by dungeon; 15 January 2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Perhaps we could ask the user to install the correct driver first, before diving into bisecting.

Are you suggesting that the OP installed a 4.8 kernel, realized it would not work with the current amdgpu-pro releases, and decided that fglrx would be more likely to work ? Seems unlikely to me.

Were the users reporting SKL problems running the most recent version of RHEL/CentOS or something older which probably would have been missing support ?
        Test signature

Comment

Perhaps we could ask the user to install the correct driver first, before diving into bisecting.
          No doubt, of course At this time i agree as you now have AMDGPU-PRO support for CentOS 7.3 he should try that first.

Are you suggesting that the OP installed a 4.8 kernel, realized it would not work with the current amdgpu-pro releases, and decided that fglrx would be more likely to work ? Seems unlikely to me.

Were the users reporting SKL problems running the most recent version of RHEL/CentOS or something older which probably would have been missing support ?
          I just suggesting to make sure SKL is fine and working first, before diving into this AMD drivers and PX at all
          Last edited by dungeon; 15 January 2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            I just suggesting to make sure SKL is fine and working first, before diving into this AMD drivers and PX at all
            Yep, that's definitely good advice. I only had trouble with your previous wording which suggested that the OP should just give up
            Test signature

Comment

Yep, that's definitely good advice. I only had trouble with your previous wording which suggested that the OP should just give up
              Well giving up sounds fine to me in this case, as he has 6 month between posts and still trying to install same driver ... With those 6 months in mind honestly he should maybe only try that new amdgpu-pro now but if even that does not work, he should better ask someone nearby to install driver for him.

Or even pure professional is needed to install this... As that exact R7 360M is no where listed as supported for Linux on AMD site (neither on driver page nor via that manual select your driver), so if average Joe is not intuitive enough he can't do it nor giving us enogh info what is the actual problem
              Last edited by dungeon; 15 January 2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Hi all,
                the kernel is centos 7: 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64.
                The amdgpu-pro driver (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx) provides support to R7 M370 and R7 M350, as mentioned, but doesn't support R7 M360 so is it "safe" to install it to run the R7 M360?
                Well giving up sounds fine to me in this case, as he has 6 month between posts and still trying to install same driver ... With those 6 months in mind honestly he should maybe only try that new amdgpu-pro now but if even that does not work, he should better ask someone nearby to install driver for him.
                the first time i posted is when i got the "new" laptop, then I dived into mathematical equations (PDE), I am doing applied mathematics, so now I come to coding and numerical simulation that's why i got more time to spend on that issue.
                I'll try the amdgpu-pro driver then i'll upgrade for kernel 4 and look what gonna happen, if there is further suggestions i'll do it and i 'll give you feed back as soon as possible.
                Thank you all.
                Last edited by aruodg; 16 January 2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

OK, just think of these drivers not in the out of the box way... they are currently on average in a such state what exact scientific brain can't understand, so you need to be more intuitive then else. My experience is that what is listed might not work and what is not listed might work... so it is safe to ignore what is written as supported and just try it

Basically all GCN hardware is supported with PRO driver, just with various degree of success.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 16 January 2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I tried to install amdgpu-pro driver there was a crash. I got the following error message during the installation
                    Loading new amdgpu-pro-16.50-362463.el7 DKMS files...
                    Building for 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64
                    Building initial module for 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64
                    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64 (x86_64)
                    Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu-pro/16.50-362463.el7/build/make.log for more information.
                    warning: %post(amdgpu-pro-dkms-16.50-362463.el7.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 10
                    Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package amdgpu-pro-dkms-16.50-362463.el7.noarch

I also copied the make.log file in /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu-pro/16.50-362463.el7/build/make.log but it is too big to be uploaded. If needed i'll copy it on three of four messages
                    Now I upgraded to kernel 4.9.3-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.

Comment

The driver will definitely not install on 4.9.xx... anything past 4.7 will not work for sure.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X