Radeon X.Org Driver Now Only Uses DRI3 By Default With GLAMOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yep, but reported bugs have a much better success record than unreported ones... although I admit that it's hard to get really high quality data on that
    How would one make that kind of statistics when you shouldn't know if unreported bugs get fixed.
    Do you already use a crystal ball?

Comment

Purely anecdotal... there seem to be considerably fewer people complaining about reported bugs not getting fixed than people complaining about unreported bugs not getting fixed. I debated taking the "really" out of "really high quality data" but ended up leaving it in... probably should have taken it out.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Unfortunately, sometimes reported bugs will not even get a response either. Recently, some bug I reported about UVD on BARTS turned 1 year old without any activity from AMD.
        AFAICS the bug is reported against the 4.1 kernel with no updates to indicate that it is still happening on newer kernels. There have been a lot of fixes since the original bug report so it's likely most devs are going to think it's just a dead ticket with a decent chance of being fixed. Not saying that anyone will refuse to look at it like that, but since nobody has time to sweep the bug tracker for dead tickets or chase OP'ers for updates they just fall off the radar after a while.
        Test signature

Comment

bridgman
          When I reported the bug, kernel 4.1 was still new. And it indeed happens with current kernels still.
          I would have assumed that my credentials tell developers that I am able to update the bug if I notice that the problem is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            bridgmanI would have assumed that my credentials tell developers that I am able to update the bug if I notice that the problem is fixed.
            Probably not a safe assumption no matter who you are. People lose interest, sell hardware, change jobs etc... so I don't think anyone can assume that "it must still be a problem on current code or they would have updated the ticket". More commonly it goes the other way.
            Test signature

Comment

There's the common approach in bugzillas (afaik) to simply ask from the reported if the problem still persists, potentially setting the bug to a NEEDINFO state until feedback is given back, as to keep the open bug count manageable and respective of up to date issues. An open bug is a bug, and it shows up in the open bug lists. There must be some serious subconscious ignoring of "outdated" bugs in developers minds, or they sort latest update bugs to some tenth page or something that they never look at.
              It's a great concept this NEEDINFO on bugs that you think might be fixed over time on their own, make use of it?

Comment

A more likely explanation is that there are not enough developers with enough free time to go trolling around in year-old bugs on a regular basis. I'll ask around tomorrow but AFAIK the community convention is to update bugs periodically if the problem still occurs with newer versions of the code. Not every week, but more than once a year...
                Test signature

Comment

Not every week, but more than once a year...
                  And how many years are needed bug to be fixed If let say someone update it annually, but no one responded to it? Here is example for you:

And only after closure (sorry for that trick but what else i can do ) devs responded that it does not matter if it works with fglrx and that does not matter if it works with classic r200 mesa, works on intel, works with swrast, etc... and i know that does not matter or just pretend that it does not matter, but what matters... there that still does not work
                  Last edited by dungeon; 29 July 2016, 07:55 AM.

Comment

That sounds like the submitter misinterpreting the developer. I think Nicolai was saying "doesn't matter if it's working on fglrx now, is it broken on radeonsi ? If so it's still an issue" but got a pile of sarcasm in return.
                    Test signature

Comment

That sounds like the submitter misinterpreting the developer. I think Nicolai was saying "doesn't matter if it's working on fglrx now, is it broken on radeonsi ? If so it's still an issue" but got a pile of sarcasm in return.
                      dungeon usually reacts like that here too, that's probably his bug report.

Comment

Working...
                      X