No announcement yet.

Xorg freezes the system with radeon driver on X1650 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use the latest ati driver (i mean the open source driver), not radeon. It works!

Comment

Thanks a lot Execute_Method, I will try that soon. Maybe that's why it wasn't working the whole time.
      Is the r300 module used for the R500 series as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
        Thanks a lot Execute_Method, I will try that soon. Maybe that's why it wasn't working the whole time.
        Is the r300 module used for the R500 series as well?
        I do believe so.. BTW, I'm almost certain it will fix your problems. I had the same issue a month (before it was in testing) ago when I built the whole thing from PKGBUILDs. It took me a while to figure that one out.

I have an x1650(rv535)AGP.

using xorg1.5-rc6, mesa 7.1-1, ati6.9.

FYI, I was never able to get the radeonhd driver to work right....plus I think the ati driver is still better for our cards.
        Last edited by Execute_Method; 10 September 2008, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
          Use the latest ati driver (i mean the open source driver), not radeon. It works!
          it's the same thing....in xorg.conf I specify "radeon"... The closed source is "FGLRX".

Comment

It didn't work
            And I was almost sure it will work this time :/

libgl's dri files conflict with xf86-video-ati's dri files (r300 and radeon). I tried launching X, once with the DRI files from libgl, once with xf86-video-ati's, same results

I hope that it will improve once X server 1.5 and X.org 7.4 move from testing to core..

Comment

I've had crashes on my test box recently:
              When radeon isn't loaded (the kernel module) when X is started.
              When fglrx is loaded when I start X.

Comment

From the radeonhd x.org wiki:

Check it out, it might help you.
                The process about the same for radeon!

BTW I'm pretty sure(according to build order) that the r300&radeon driver files (provided by libgl) have to be in place *BEFORE* building ati.

The subsystems have to be built and installed in the following order:

* dri2proto

mesa (add --with-dri-drivers=radeon,r300,swrast to ./autogen.sh to speed up the build considerably)
                * Xserver: If using x86_64 we need to build the xserver, which is quite painful:
                o xextproto
                o xproto (is named x11proto in the git repository)
                o inputproto
                o pixman
                o xserver
                o xf86-input-mouse
                o xf86-input-keyboard
                o xf86-input-evdev (if used)
                * radeonhd
                Last edited by Execute_Method; 11 September 2008, 04:46 PM.

Comment

You wrote that you are using Arch Linux, like me. Can you try xf86-video-ati from both core and testing? Is it still broken? I use r300 right now but I want to move to r500 just like you and I plan to use xf86-video-ati driver.

Comment

There was no change in packages as far as I can see, why would it make a different result now?

Comment

I can prepare PKGBUILD with latest xf86-video-ati and Mesa to build xf86-video-ati package for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X