Improving graphics performance on Radeon M375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving graphics performance on Radeon M375

I purchased a Lenovo ideapad Y700-14ISK with the Radeon M375 video card. I am using Fedora 24 fully updated with the packages from this COPR to get the newer Mesa packages from Git:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ever/mesa-git/

I am able to use the "DRI_PRIME" variable to initiate workloads to use the M375 card versus the integrated Intel graphics.

Without recompiling anything, what else could I do to improve the graphics performance with this card? Any configurations that I can add?

Some people like notebooks better. Get over it.

Comment

Radeon R9 M375: GCN 1.0 Cape Verde

What can you do? Wait for support in amdgpu-pro and Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
        I purchased a Lenovo ideapad Y700-14ISK with the Radeon M375 video card. I am using Fedora 24 fully updated with the packages from this COPR to get the newer Mesa packages from Git:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ever/mesa-git/

I am able to use the "DRI_PRIME" variable to initiate workloads to use the M375 card versus the integrated Intel graphics.

Without recompiling anything, what else could I do to improve the graphics performance with this card? Any configurations that I can add?
        Probably not much you can do to improve 3d performance. Mesa try's waaay too hard to respect in game settings. You really can't override anything, yet... So make sure to tweak the in game settings. That's really all you can do. Turn down or off in anti-aliasing. Most game engines have absolutely horrible shadow performance, so you can turn shadow settings down or off. Anisotropic filtering on AMD GPU's is pretty close to free, so you can turn that up usually.
        Last edited by duby229; 16 July 2016, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          As you are interested in linux graphics performance, why on earth did you pay 750 USD for a such a rare toy. With 750 USD you build a desktop computer with an RX 480 or GTX 970 graphics card and both have a good Linux gaming performance. Desktop computers have bigger monitors too.
          Because I wanted a laptop, and I paid much less than 750 USD. But hey, thanks for thinking about my wallet. However, I assure you its one area that I have no issue. In fact, to blow your mind further, I have a Y700 15" with the FX-8800P CPU and M385X 4GB video card coming in 3 days to test that one as well! I think I will like it better... this screen is too small.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            Radeon R9 M375: GCN 1.0 Cape Verde

What can you do? Wait for support in amdgpu-pro and Vulkan.
            Yeah that's what I figured. It works decently, but its not going to win any awards. Tracking the updates to Git until Feora 25 comes out will help. Not sure I will keep this laptop that long tho.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Probably not much you can do to improve 3d performance. Mesa try's waaay too hard to respect in game settings. You really can't override anything, yet... So make sure to tweak the in game settings. That's really all you can do. Turn down or off in anti-aliasing. Most game engines have absolutely horrible shadow performance, so you can turn shadow settings down or off. Anisotropic filtering on AMD GPU's is pretty close to free, so you can turn that up usually.
              Thanks for the feedback! I will try turning shadows down and AF up.

Running Unigine Valley on default settings gets me almost 19 FPS with the AMD card.

Now if I could just get better and more reliable performance from the touchpad. It did not feel so bad in Win10, but in Linux its a jumpy mess.

Comment

IIRC touchpads sometimes have a few modes you can operate them in. Don't remember how you change it (can't believe it would be BIOS screen) but I believe there was at least one recent laptop where I had to put the pad into some kind of compatibility / braindead mode to work well.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  IIRC touchpads sometimes have a few modes you can operate them in. Don't remember how you change it (can't believe it would be BIOS screen) but I believe there was at least one recent laptop where I had to put the pad into some kind of compatibility / braindead mode to work well.
                  Yeah I am trying to deal with the touchpad settings, which is using the libinput driver instead of Synaptic driver. I may need to revert the driver to Synaptic to get it working correctly.

Currently the kernel is reading that the touchpad dimensions are completely wrong. Like 102mm by 28mm. Definitely wrong. I have tried creating a new udev profile for the touchpad to correct it, but its not working for me. Shame, because otherwise I really like this laptop and having a strong discrete graphics chip with open drivers is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post

Yeah I am trying to deal with the touchpad settings, which is using the libinput driver instead of Synaptic driver. I may need to revert the driver to Synaptic to get it working correctly.

Currently the kernel is reading that the touchpad dimensions are completely wrong. Like 102mm by 28mm. Definitely wrong. I have tried creating a new udev profile for the touchpad to correct it, but its not working for me. Shame, because otherwise I really like this laptop and having a strong discrete graphics chip with open drivers is really nice.
                    And no sooner than I posted this did I fix the issue by successfully creating the new udev entry for the device. I've submitted it to the Freedesktop libinput bugzilla queue under ID #97011.

Comment

Working...
                    X