Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting

Hello Guys!

Seems that i have a serious problem with my setup.

I switched my old gpu to an RX480 but im not able to get the driver loaded.

When i use the RC Kernel 4.7 RC6 the system hangs on loading amdgpufb (segfault)

Then i have tried this howto: https://linuxconfig.org/getting-the-...mdgpu-on-linux

But every time i am booting i get the following log entry: [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting. Cinnamon is loading with software rendering. Loading the kernel module amdgpu drops also the same message.

As far as i can remember i get this also with the AMDGPU blob driver.

Hardware is:

CPU AMD 1090T
    Asus Crosshair Formula IV
    Mint 18

Can anybody help me with this?

Any chance you have something modeset-related left over in your boot config line ?
    Test signature

Comment

Hello bridgman!

I will take a closer look, but in the kernel loading line there is only "nosplash plymouth". Adding nomodeset there is causing the VGACON message. When this is set it seems that loading any gpu related drives fails with this message.

If I don't set nomodeset as loading parameter boot is hanging after switching to amdgpudrmfb:

[drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
      fb: switching to amdgpudrmfb from simple

After this log message boot hangs.

Comment

AAAhh. Im so ....

I have overseen that the packages from paulos ppa have not been installed with apt-get upgrade/update. It seems that something has blocked this. After updating this in Synaptic and getting the latest 4.7-RC7 kernel all is working now.

Thank you Guys!!

Comment

Working...
        X