Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying The Experimental Radeon RX 480 Overclocking With AMDGPU OverDrive Isn't Going So Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying The Experimental Radeon RX 480 Overclocking With AMDGPU OverDrive Isn't Going So Well

Phoronix: Trying The Experimental Radeon RX 480 Overclocking With AMDGPU OverDrive Isn't Going So Well

With the Linux 4.8 kernel coming later this year one of the main end-user additions to the AMDGPU kernel driver is GPU overclocking support via OverDrive. This is the first time AMD GPU overclocking is being offered via their open-source Linux driver and so I decided to try it out with the AMD Radeon RX 480 using this experimental DRM-Next code.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Try undervolting the card and increasing the power limit.
    Other reviewers have found the card is power limited and at boost clocks throttles. Some have noted that by increasing fan speed and undervolting by a small amount, they were able to prevent throttling and maintain a higher fps

Comment

You should consider yourself lucky you even got this working without OC :P When I put my RX480 into my system, I don't even get the display running, while getting the same voltage errors as here (I can only see them in the journal after rebooting with a different card/system, obviously). And yes, I used git builds of linux, linux-firmware, libdrm and mesa, as well as a SVN build of LLVM. Did I miss something?

Comment

Maybe the instability is forced by the fact that the RX 480 does consume to much power from peg slot

Comment

Originally posted by anolting View Post
          Maybe the instability is forced by the fact that the RX 480 does consume to much power from peg slot
          If that were true it should be affected on Windows the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

If that were true it should be affected on Windows the same way.
            Not if the Windows and Linux drivers don't check the same things and limits.

Comment

Originally posted by anolting View Post
              This is nonsense.
              The PCIe slot current for 12V could become an issue when powering more than two rx480 in one mainboard (and the problem would be the current through the 24pin ATX power connector).

Is it correct, that one can not change the power limit and voltages? That would be quiet limiting for the overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Taisserroots View Post
                Try undervolting the card and increasing the power limit.
                BIOS modding is a too high barrier for such a test. We don't have WattMan on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

BIOS modding is a too high barrier for such a test. We don't have WattMan on Linux...
                  Oh right

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

This is nonsense.
                    The PCIe slot current for 12V could become an issue when powering more than two rx480 in one mainboard (and the problem would be the current through the 24pin ATX power connector).

Is it correct, that one can not change the power limit and voltages? That would be quiet limiting for the overclocking.
                    Sorry this not nonsense. The rx 480 takes an average of 83 up 88 watts which is more than specified for PC I express. Overcloking can destabilize the main board which can lead to instability at all.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X