No announcement yet.

Radeon/AMDGPU Updates For The Linux 4.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some will be sad though, the AMDGPU material for Linux 4.8 doesn't contain the huge DAL display abstraction layer code
    Are you sure there is a roadmap for ever getting it merged wholesale? Right now it seems DAL code is selectively slowly merged bit by bit as it is adapted to the current DRM code - which of course is a much more time consuming process. It might be the Right WayTM, but it will make people frustrated by the delays and be a reason for the AMDGPU Pro driver to exist for a long time ahead.

My personal current craving is for HDMI audio on 285 Anyone know if AMDGPU Pro supports this?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
      Are you sure there is a roadmap for ever getting it merged wholesale? Right now it seems DAL code is selectively slowly merged bit by bit as it is adapted to the current DRM code - which of course is a much more time consuming process. It might be the Right WayTM, but it will make people frustrated by the delays and be a reason for the AMDGPU Pro driver to exist for a long time ahead.

My personal current craving is for HDMI audio on 285 Anyone know if AMDGPU Pro supports this?
      So that's why DAL branch of drm-next-4.8 hasn't been updated for six weeks?
      Lack of HDMI audio on Tonga (380) is basically the only reason stopping me from using Linux. I tried to use DAL, but the only working branch is drm-next-4.6-dal, and it has video glitches that make it practically impossible to use.
      AMDGPU-PRO has DAL in DKMS module, but it fails to build on Arch with Linux Kernel 4.6.3.
      Last edited by pcm720; 08 July 2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pcm720 View Post
        AMDGPU-PRO has DAL in DKMS module, but it fails to build on Arch with Linux Kernel 4.6.3.
        What about lts kernel that is 4.4, sort of like Ubuntu:

that should be ideal currently to use on arch with pro driver + dkms i guess

Comment

I'm missing HDMI audio too but I'm making do without for now. I did try drm-next-4.8-wip-dal last week but it kernel panicked. I don't mind it not being mainlined for the time being but it would be nice if it actually worked.

Come to think of it, does DAL actually work with the open driver stack or is it PRO only? Maybe that's why it kernel panicked?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            What about lts kernel that is 4.4, sort of like Ubuntu:
            https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c..._64/linux-lts/
            that should be ideal currently to use on arch with pro driver + dkms i guess
            Same error on 4.4 LTS kernel.
            I installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on another partition, and HDMI audio works great there with AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 from SteamOS repo.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            Come to think of it, does DAL actually work with the open driver stack or is it PRO only? Maybe that's why it kernel panicked?
            Yes, it works with drm-next-4.6-wip-dal on Tonga (R9 380) without AMDGPU-PRO, but I had graphical glitches with it.
            HDMI audio is missing in drm-next-4.7-wip-dal, and drm-next-4.8-wip-dal hangs the system after X.org starts.
            Last edited by pcm720; 08 July 2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pcm720 View Post
              drm-next-4.8-wip-dal hangs the system after X.org starts.
              Wasn't just me then!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Amdgpu-pro works with kernel 4.7.0-rc5, use these patches in my post:
                https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...-distros/page4
                Thanks. I was able to build it with these patches, but there's still no HDMI audio.
                And then there are two lines in Xorg.0.log:
                [ 18.304] (II) AMDGPU(0): AMDGPU DDX hybrid version: 16.30.3
                [ 18.304] (EE) AMDGPU(0): Failed to open amdgpu hybrid version
                It seems that DAL doesn't work properly.
                Last edited by pcm720; 09 July 2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

My brother's HP Carrizo a10-8700p laptop has been going through hell trying to keep the display from randomly shutting off (or at least, going black... backlight is still on) every couple of minutes (and then staying that way until reboot). Is that a problem that would be most likely fixed when the display code gets integrated, when I upgrade to 4.8 and get the new power management stuff, or in 2030 when the laptop gets coreboot support (I am not a fan of the HP bios at all)?

I've tried upgrading to 4.8rc3 on arch linux (which itself was a pain to install for the first time with a wifi chipset with no open-source driver, a display that randomly shuts off, and the only available network being a college network that requires you to register the device - via a browser, of course), but it crashes 49 seconds in and I'm really not sure how to get the logs off of it - I don't know how systemd logging works or where to find the error messages that appear as it crashes. Plus, the only other kernel I can boot to will blackscreen the display every couple of minutes. It would feel wrong to complain when the problem persists in the final 4.8 release if I haven't even reported the problem...

Comment

Working...
                  X