Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon/AMDGPU Updates For The Linux 4.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Radeon/AMDGPU Updates For The Linux 4.8 Kernel

Alex Deucher has submitted the main feature pull request for DRM-Next of the Radeon and AMDGPU DRM driver changes for the next kernel cycle, Linux 4.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The pull request also contains patches which pick up new SMC microcode (with a _k suffix) for some SI/CI boards, which may improve stability for 390/390X users.
    Test signature

Comment

Note that drm-next requires a merge with drm-fixes for stability on polaris cards as all of the polaris fixes have been going to the fixes tree.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The pull request also contains patches which pick up new SMC microcode (with a _k suffix) for some SI/CI boards, which may improve stability for 390/390X users.
        Why suffix, do we need both _k and non k to be available ?

Comment

The new SMC ucode works with newer chips; previous ucode still recommended for older chips. Basically 290 vs 390 AFAICS.

The chips have an internal revision number that we use to determine the appropriate ucode.
          Last edited by bridgman; 08 July 2016, 12:16 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Ah OK, so for 3xx series goes _k otherwise non _k for older.

Comment

The AMDGPU overclocking support would be the main end-user feature for Linux 4.8 when it comes to Radeon/AMDGPU.
              I guess that means, everybody should overclock their chips now But first all developers and then testers

Well Michael, you can test it fine with your cards... if it moves - it works, if it burns - it works
              Last edited by dungeon; 08 July 2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

What is the status for the AMDGPU-PRO support for GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.0 cards with 4.8 kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by mj13 View Post
                  What is the status for the AMDGPU-PRO support for GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.0 cards with 4.8 kernel?
                  I guess pro mostly depends on situation in Ubuntu 16.10

That Ubuntu should use 4.8 kernel AFAIK, but what dkms module pro will ship at the time is yet to be seen, etc...
                  Last edited by dungeon; 08 July 2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

"new power features for Carrizo/BR/Stoney hardware"

OMG, maybe finally this new kernel will fix temperature problem with my A10 8700p?? i hope... (from kernel 4.2 to kernel 4.7rc6, the situation is really better, but still not perfect, i hope that with kernel 4.8, the temperature of my APU will be perfect (and i hope also that i will gain a performance boost)

Comment

Working...
                    X