Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Polaris & Tonga Fixes For Linux 4.7

Phoronix: More Polaris & Tonga Fixes For Linux 4.7

Another batch of AMDGPU DRM driver fixes has been sent in for landing in Linux 4.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael could you compare a few cards with
    R600_DEBUG="nodcc switch_on_eop forcedma precompile hyperz sisched"
    and without? cause someone pointed me on this and I'm really surprised how smooth a few games run now on my R9 X380 with mesa 11 and linux 4.6.

also linux 4.7 is awesome for tonga. compared to 4.6, with 4.7RC6 the average fps on tomb raider jumps from ~63 to ~77fps at 1080p here.

Comment

Still patiently waiting for Hawaii/Grenada fixes. Come on AMD, straighten out this DPM stuff, please?

Comment

lumks
        I looks like a kernel 4.7 works fine only with Tonga XT based cards like a R9 380X, because I see really low performance of R9 380 (Tonga PRO) with kernel 4.7RC6, thats why I still use 4.6.
        Last edited by nadro; 07 July 2016, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post
          Still patiently waiting for Hawaii/Grenada fixes. Come on AMD, straighten out this DPM stuff, please?
          Have you tried the patch and microcode update that uses _k SMC microcode ? Patch is at link below, microcode is in agd5f's radeon_ucode folder filed under "k":

Doesn't seem to have gone upstream yet, I have inquired if that is intentional or not.

EDIT - I asked agd5f... the patches are already queued for 4.8. I was looking in 4.7...
          Last edited by bridgman; 08 July 2016, 10:52 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

nadro I'm here with "Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380]" (its a 380) on Linux 4.7RC6. and for me its much faster than with 4.6

Comment

If all goes well (that is, AMD executes and delivers on its roadmap), my next GPU will be AMD's big Vega.

Once 3rd party Vega designs land, I plan to use one of my HD 7970 cards with Linux, so I sort of hope that the GCN 1.0 code for AMDGPU is sorted by then.

But yeah, no guarantees obviously...
              Last edited by ermo; 07 July 2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                Michael could you compare a few cards with
                R600_DEBUG="nodcc switch_on_eop forcedma precompile hyperz sisched"
                and without? cause someone pointed me on this and I'm really surprised how smooth a few games run now on my R9 X380 with mesa 11 and linux 4.6.

also linux 4.7 is awesome for tonga. compared to 4.6, with 4.7RC6 the average fps on tomb raider jumps from ~63 to ~77fps at 1080p here.
                +1 for the testing, Michael

lumks How many FPS did you gain? Or it's something like lower variation/higher minimun fps?

Comment

Working...
                X