AMD's Linux Driver Will Likely See A Power Change For The Radeon RX 480 Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
    I'm just hoping that the driver optimizations don't negatively affect performance of third party cards which are designed with a sufficient power connection...
    While we wait for AMD to come up with a fix for the Radeon RX 480's power woes we ran across an article by Keith May over at WCCFTech about how he was able to undervolt the Radeon RX 480 and improve performance. With the AMD Radeon RX 480 exceeding 'safe' power levels in stock form at default clock speeds, proven by Ryan Shrout over at PC Perspective), we figured we'd give undervolting a shot.

This test of undervolting an RX 480 on Windows actually improved the performance by up to 4%.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      That's actually not correct. The 750 Ti and 960 went out of spec for very very brief spikes (like microseconds), not for sustained periods. In effect, it isn't the same thing.
      The 750 Ti with no 6 pin connector definitely went over spec and the Asus Strix GTX 960 may have fluctuated over and under the line, but it spent the majority of it's time over it with spikes as high as 250W.

I'm not saying the RX 480 would fry motherboards, but who knows what could happen after a few years of use.
      If the cards I mentioned didn't fry boards, then nether will this card. If you're going to be a Nvidia fanboy spreading FUD, you could at least try to be a bit less obvious in your attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguar View Post
        That's actually not correct.
        We take a look at the MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC, our first retail GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card sample. Let's see how it performs!

750ti pulling the same watts as a 270x a card that comes with 6 pin connector .
        The truth is that nvidia is spreading fud all over the place
        and as michael said his card is running fine
        I'm not sure what you think you're showing there.

Comment

I'm not saying the RX 480 would fry motherboards, but who knows what could happen after a few years of use.
          What? The driver which will fix the power consumption over PCIe is going to be released this week. How on earth can you use the card "for a few years" until later this week?

And indeed, even the worst case assumption say only that this could introduce instability, but without any verified reports of this actually causing instability. And this is moot anyway with the new driver.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            The 750 Ti with no 6 pin connector definitely went over spec and the Asus Strix GTX 960 may have fluctuated over and under the line, but it spent the majority of it's time over it with spikes as high as 250W.

If the cards I mentioned didn't fry boards, then nether will this card. If you're going to be a Nvidia fanboy spreading FUD, you could at least try to be a bit less obvious in your attempts.
            Umm, no. You should do some more research (beyond reddit) before accusing me of being a fanboy and spreading FUD, when all I did was discount your FUD-spreading.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              What? The driver which will fix the power consumption over PCIe is going to be released this week. How on earth can you use the card "for a few years" until later this week?

And indeed, even the worst case assumption say only that this could introduce instability, but without any verified reports of this actually causing instability. And this is moot anyway with the new driver.
              First, it doesn't merely introduce the possibility of "instability". Second, I understand that a fix is coming later this week. There's a reason for that. Because there's a problem that needs to be fixed. I was responding to people who were implying that there was no issue here, and that it's all counter-marketing by nefarious forces. If left unfixed it could pose a problem over time. That's why AMD is fixing it.

Comment

First, it doesn't merely introduce the possibility of "instability".
                What does it introduce, then? I have seen only hypothetical scenarios. Keep in mind that this is not the first card to exceed PCIe power spec. Which actual problems have been observed?

There's a reason for that. Because there's a problem that needs to be fixed. I was responding to people who were implying that there was no issue here,
                Its both an issue and a non-issue.
                It is an issue because the card is operating outside PCIe spec which is something it shouldn't do, even if that does not lead to user-visible problems.
                It is a non-issue because it won't fry your hardware, nor are there any verified reports of other kinds of nasty problems.

The current will come out of the PSU anyway, and if that PSU doesn't have 30 W of reserves you have much bigger problems than the RX 480.

Comment

There can't be serious problems caused by exceeding the power spec to that extend. As far as I know in Version 1.0 there have been only 4 pins for the same 5.5A, Now in 3.0 there are 5. One can calculate a minor increase in the temperatures of the power conductors depending on the board quality(high end mainboards have two separate power paths).

But yeah, it has to be fixed anyway to prevent damage from AMD and because specs are specs and they are not questionable before they are about to be changed. It is just disrespectful to panic with ulterior motives.

Comment

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but many places I've seen talk about this mention that the PCI 2.0 and 3.0 specs allow for more watts to be pulled per slot (100w with PCI 2.0, and more with 3.0, right?) and the hardware on pretty much every motherboard supporting PCI/PCI-E 2 and 3 supports the updated specs, but they use the PCI 1.0 spec for some reason. I didn't research far enough to know that part... backwards compatibility reasons?

So as long as you're not overclocking the card an extreme amount, if it's in a PCI-E 2.0+ slot it shouldn't damage the motherboard, no? Even cheaper ones.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                      There's a bunch of other cards that have done exactly the same thing in the past and they're not even all AMD cards (Nvidia messed up with certain versions of the 750 Ti and 960) and none of them have broken motherboards. The only confirmed case of a PCIe bus being ruined when powering an RX 480 was with an Abit board that was downright filthy with liquid damage and loads of dust, so it could be that it wasn't even the 480's fault.

Don't get me wrong however, I'd still recommend waiting for partner cards with 8 pin connectors and better cooling as the 6 pin reference cards are power limited and running really hot due to a really crappy reference cooler.
                      Wait... An Abit board? If it was an Abit board then it was on it's last legs anyway given that Abit ended production in 2008, we had one of the final boards and I forget if it died from the chinese capacitor problem or BIOS degradation, Either way... whoever tried to put an RX 480 in that reaaaally needed to upgrade anyway so it dying is ultimately a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X