Few questions - AMDGPU - VALVe - GCN 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions - AMDGPU - VALVe - GCN 1.0

According to this post [1], the AMDGPU-PRO driver should have support for my R9 270X. I considered installing it on Arch, but first I need to know if anyone has the link to the patch that makes the OpenSource AMDGPU driver work on GCN 1.0 cards. Aparently my search engine is refusing to show me where it is.

How is the performance of AMDGPU on GCN 1.0 cards?
    And how is the performance of AMDGPU-PRO on the same cards?

------------------------------------------------------------

Radeon developers introduced two bugs where two games I own will crash my entire system, forcing me to do a hard reboot. I reported the bugs to the Kernel developers several months ago (the first one in August last year IIRC), and I haven't tested newer Kernels to see if they're resolved.
    If anyone has the same card as I do, and play Team Fortress 2(Free game) or X-Plane 10, please let me know if these games are working fine. Team Fortress 2 will simply crash every 30 seconds or will crash the system once you play on a server with lots of engineers; and X-Plane 10 will crash after you've simulated for more than 1:30 hours, and then quit the simulator. Sometimes changing the aircraft numerous times, changing locations, etc, and then exiting the Simulator (all of this in 20 minutes or so), will crash the entire system too. It's very unpredictable.

(To run X-Plane 10 on Radeon drivers, add the following to it's Launch Properties (without quotes): "--force_run")

--------------------------------------------------------------

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...818#post880818

SPECS:
    AMD FX 6300 (OC'ed to 4.1 GHz, 1.2v)
    16 GB DDR3 HyperX Fury 1866 MHz
    R9 270X DualX OC Edition

PS: My problems are not related to temperatures. My GPU doesn't go over 45ºC at full load, and my processor doesn't go over 45ºC as well, with stock cooler.
    PPS: These games work fine on Catalyst, but I don't want to run that driver. It's a PITA.

Regards,
    Amarildo

Hi Amarildo;

I don't understand why you think the post you linked said that the AMDGPU-PRO driver should have support for your card - I didn't even mention specific hardware in that post, did I ? There is some work being done on extending support back to SI, and the WIP code has been pushed to a public branch so community developers can work on the same code base, but neither the amdgpu nor AMDGPU-PRO drivers support your card at this time.

Has there been any updates in the bug tickets you filed, and/or could you provide the ticket numbers ? Thanks...
    Test signature

Comment

Umm, I posted the wrong link. Sorry John This is it: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...801#post880801 (Comment #14)
      Apologies if my interpretation is not correct.

The bugs have not been updated in months. I deleted the e-Mail for my other bugs, so I only have this one: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110121

I just downloaded TF2 and X-Plane, and it's the same scenario all over. I will try the AMDGPU-PRO driver, then if that doesn't work I'll try the latest 4.7 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
        Umm, I posted the wrong link. Sorry John This is it: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...801#post880801 (Comment #14)
        Apologies if my interpretation is not correct.
        The closed source binaries already should have code for all the GCN parts, so it's mostly a matter of getting the kernel driver bits working and integrated.
        Ahh, that helps. You still can't run the amdgpu hybrid stack on SI / GCN 1.0 / gfx6 until the amdgpu kernel driver is running successfully on that hardware generation, and thats the part that still needs some work. The code we have so far has been pushed out to a branch but is not yet upstream:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...ext-4.8-wip-si

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
        The bugs have not been updated in months. I deleted the e-Mail for my other bugs, so I only have this one: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=110121

I just downloaded TF2 and X-Plane, and it's the same scenario all over. I will try the AMDGPU-PRO driver, then if that doesn't work I'll try the latest 4.7 kernel.
        Don't bother with the AMDGPU-PRO driver yet, it won't work with your card.

If I'm reading the bug ticket correctly you are running Arch with grsecurity patches active - is that via the linux-grsec package (which IIRC installs a new kernel) ? Guessing you filed the bug first against linux-grsec (which is what the Arch docco recommends) and that's how you got the comment from the grsecurity developer ? Looks like you have Firejail installed as well ?

If the above is roughly correct, obvious question is whether X-Plane runs correctly without the linux-grsec package and/or without Firejail ? If so, then that needs to be really clear in the bug title and ticket, ie that the problem is with the combination of X-Plane AND xxx.

Hold on... I just noticed the ticket is in the kernel bug tracker rather than in freedesktop.org. I don't know if the graphics devs even look in or get notifications from the kernel bug tracker -- AFAIK they work entirely out of bugs.freedesktop.org.

I hate to say this, but it's very likely that nobody is even aware of your ticket yet -- AFAICS all of the kernel bug tracker tickets filed against drivers_video-other either have no response or a message asking originator to file a bug at fdo. This seems like something that could & should be fixed, will ping the dri-devel list to discuss options. I think the right answer is tweaking the kernel bugzilla so that it directs graphics issues to the fdo bugzilla, but there may be less disruptive (albeit probably less effective) options as well.
        Last edited by bridgman; 07 July 2016, 09:42 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Any estimate on when we can expect AMDGPU Pro for the R9 270X? It's been 8 months since they stopped updating Catalyst, and there's still no useable proprietary option for this card. I can manually downgrade Xorg to get Catalyst 15.11 working on Arch, but it breaks constantly.

Comment

What debianxfce said. If you don't need fglrx for OpenCL then you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by how well the open drivers are running as long as you pick up recent code.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Has there been any updates in the bug tickets you filed, and/or could you provide the ticket numbers ? Thanks...
              As for TF2, https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96271 hasn't seen any action for over a month now.

I myself hit a hard hang every once in a while (randomly), but I also see one after ~5 minutes of Half-Life 2: Episode One. But before trying to debug that, I'd thought I'd wait for the next mesa version since that's so close to release. Currently on 11.2.2.

Comment

Ahh, that helps. You still can't run the amdgpu hybrid stack on SI / GCN 1.0 / gfx6 until the amdgpu kernel driver is running successfully on that hardware generation, and thats the part that still needs some work. The code we have so far has been pushed out to a branch but is not yet upstream:

Thanks, I will try that until sunday.

Don't bother with the AMDGPU-PRO driver yet, it won't work with your card.
                OK.

If I'm reading the bug ticket correctly you are running Arch with grsecurity patches active - is that via the linux-grsec package (which IIRC installs a new kernel) ?
                Yes. However, the problem happens on any Kernel from 4.1 (IIRC) onwards.

Guessing you filed the bug first against linux-grsec (which is what the Arch docco recommends) and that's how you got the comment from the grsecurity developer ?
                Correct.

Looks like you have Firejail installed as well ?
                Yes, and I run Steam through it.

If the above is roughly correct, obvious question is whether X-Plane runs correctly without the linux-grsec package and/or without Firejail ? If so, then that needs to be really clear in the bug title and ticket, ie that the problem is with the combination of X-Plane AND xxx.
                X-Plane and TF2 are broken with the regular Kernel (currently 4.7 rc6 here, but also with linux-lts, or just linux from Arch/Debian/Ubuntu/OpenSUSE). With or without firejail or grsec, the same happens.

Hold on... I just noticed the ticket is in the kernel bug tracker rather than in freedesktop.org. I don't know if the graphics devs even look in or get notifications from the kernel bug tracker -- AFAIK they work entirely out of bugs.freedesktop.org.
                I didn't know that, thanks. I'll report the bugs on freedesktop as well.

I hate to say this, but it's very likely that nobody is even aware of your ticket yet -- AFAICS all of the kernel bug tracker tickets filed against drivers_video-other either have no response or a message asking originator to file a bug at fdo. This seems like something that could & should be fixed, will ping the dri-devel list to discuss options. I think the right answer is tweaking the kernel bugzilla so that it directs graphics issues to the fdo bugzilla, but there may be less disruptive (albeit probably less effective) options as well.
                So Kernel developers don't take a year to fix this then That's great, I guess.

I wonder how long will take for the bug to get fixed once I reported o FDO.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Amdgpu-pro and amdgpu kernel driver 4.7 does not support your card. Use the latest kernel (radeon driver is fixed often) and latest mesa from https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers.
                  I didn't compile 4.7 so that I could use amdgpu, but to see if the radeon problems were fixed.

I'll compile mesa-git, lib32-mesa-git in a moment.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that until Sunday.

If I'm reading the bug ticket correctly you are running Arch with grsecurity patches active - is that via the linux-grsec package (which IIRC installs a new kernel) ? Guessing you filed the bug first against linux-grsec (which is what the Arch docco recommends) and that's how you got the comment from the grsecurity developer ? Looks like you have Firejail installed as well ?

Both games are broken on any variant of Linux I've tested(vanilla, lts, grsec), on most distros I'd run (Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE, Arch), with or without grsec, and with or without firejail.

Thanks, so Kernel developers don't take several months to fix things, I guess.

I wonder how long these bugs will be fixed (if ever) once I report them to FDO.

Comment

Working...
                    X