Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX 480 on ubuntu - has anyone been able to use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX 480 on ubuntu - has anyone been able to use it?

Has anyone been able to use the RX 480 on ubuntu 16.04 ? If so, how did you do it?

The AMDGPU-Pro driver 16.30 gets me to the login screen but then I have a black screen with the pointer visible and a white pixel in the upper left corner.
    I haven't been able to boot with the 4.7 rc5 kernel.

EDIT: I've got it working now. here is the solution: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...016#post882016
    Last edited by pyrignis; 02 July 2016, 08:03 PM.

The code in the DKMS package matches the stock 4.4-based kernel in Ubuntu 16.04 - don't know for sure but I expect it would have problems with 4.7 kernel.

If you install on a stock 16.04 system it should work fine AFAIK.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The code in the DKMS package matches the stock 4.4-based kernel in Ubuntu 16.04 - don't know for sure but I expect it would have problems with 4.7 kernel.

If you install on a stock 16.04 system it should work fine AFAIK.
      I've been using the stock kernel. I've only mentioned the 4.7 kernel because of the open-source driver it has.

Comment

Hmm, OK... that should work. Obvious question (because it's something I would do), are you 100% sure you installed the dkms module when running the stock kernel and not while testing 4.7-rc5 ? Or when you say "I haven't been able to boot with the 4.7 rc5 kernel" does that mean "you didn't have time to try it" rather than "you tried it; it didn't work; you went back to stock kernel" ?

Assuming you definitely installed against the stock kernel, can you please file a bug ticket at bugs.freedesktop.org against DRM/AMDgpu-pro ? Are you able to ctl-alt-F<whatever> to a tty (or ssh in from another system) to get dmesg output, or is the last xorg log the only artifact you can get ?

Thanks...
        Test signature

Comment

Well, no, the 4.7rc5 kernel way a matter of try - fail - remove. Will do a bug report there, I can indeed ctl-alt-F<whatever> and work through there.

EDIT: it's here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96768
          Last edited by pyrignis; 01 July 2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Great, thanks !
            Test signature

Comment

Yeah this is what I found happened to me on my 390x. It also happened on the stock kernel probably because I recompiled it with a version flag change on the end? Tried 4.6.0 4.6.3 also and same issue as this.

Apparently you can recompile the dkms module after changing a few things and fixing some gcc issue in a makefile, BUT I'm not too experienced in building dkms packages or fixing gcc errors. Just a simple man who knows howto finally compile his own kernel and apply a patch or two.....

Comment

Did you ever think about the reason why you would need a NEW kernel to use a dkms module? Just use 4.4 and all is fine without a stupid hack...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  kernel 4.7-rc1-rc5
                  I didn't really want to use Kernel4.7 RC due to the large regressions for my videocard and the open driver component. That's why I was sticking to 4.6.0 (4.6.3 may have those regressions also). I read somewhere that 4.7RC6 (or was it 7?) fixes those issues related to powerplay/dpm.

You should get AMD to pay you, honestly I don't see WHY they can't just specify kernel 4.4++++ in the code instead of having to be explicit all the time?!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Just use 4.4 and all is fine without a stupid hack...
                  , except if you need CIK enabled then again I could have just compiled without a version change. My mistake, didn't think it would matter. I will rebuild the 4.4 kernel soon without my VERSION mod on the end (I did that because EVERY guide said to, so I did, pfft.
                  Last edited by theriddick; 02 July 2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Well I can't get DKMS installed for the life of me, rejects my system outright, no idea except for this log file. No good at reading this crap.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X