Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX 480 on ubuntu - has anyone been able to use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX 480 on ubuntu - has anyone been able to use it?

Has anyone been able to use the RX 480 on ubuntu 16.04 ? If so, how did you do it?

The AMDGPU-Pro driver 16.30 gets me to the login screen but then I have a black screen with the pointer visible and a white pixel in the upper left corner.
    I haven't been able to boot with the 4.7 rc5 kernel.

EDIT: I've got it working now. here is the solution: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...016#post882016
    Last edited by pyrignis; 02 July 2016, 08:03 PM.

The code in the DKMS package matches the stock 4.4-based kernel in Ubuntu 16.04 - don't know for sure but I expect it would have problems with 4.7 kernel.

If you install on a stock 16.04 system it should work fine AFAIK.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The code in the DKMS package matches the stock 4.4-based kernel in Ubuntu 16.04 - don't know for sure but I expect it would have problems with 4.7 kernel.

If you install on a stock 16.04 system it should work fine AFAIK.
      I've been using the stock kernel. I've only mentioned the 4.7 kernel because of the open-source driver it has.

Comment

Hmm, OK... that should work. Obvious question (because it's something I would do), are you 100% sure you installed the dkms module when running the stock kernel and not while testing 4.7-rc5 ? Or when you say "I haven't been able to boot with the 4.7 rc5 kernel" does that mean "you didn't have time to try it" rather than "you tried it; it didn't work; you went back to stock kernel" ?

Assuming you definitely installed against the stock kernel, can you please file a bug ticket at bugs.freedesktop.org against DRM/AMDgpu-pro ? Are you able to ctl-alt-F<whatever> to a tty (or ssh in from another system) to get dmesg output, or is the last xorg log the only artifact you can get ?

Thanks...
        Test signature

Comment

Well, no, the 4.7rc5 kernel way a matter of try - fail - remove. Will do a bug report there, I can indeed ctl-alt-F<whatever> and work through there.

EDIT: it's here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96768
          Last edited by pyrignis; 01 July 2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Great, thanks !
            Test signature

Comment

Yeah this is what I found happened to me on my 390x. It also happened on the stock kernel probably because I recompiled it with a version flag change on the end? Tried 4.6.0 4.6.3 also and same issue as this.

Apparently you can recompile the dkms module after changing a few things and fixing some gcc issue in a makefile, BUT I'm not too experienced in building dkms packages or fixing gcc errors. Just a simple man who knows howto finally compile his own kernel and apply a patch or two.....

Comment

Did you ever think about the reason why you would need a NEW kernel to use a dkms module? Just use 4.4 and all is fine without a stupid hack...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  kernel 4.7-rc1-rc5
                  I didn't really want to use Kernel4.7 RC due to the large regressions for my videocard and the open driver component. That's why I was sticking to 4.6.0 (4.6.3 may have those regressions also). I read somewhere that 4.7RC6 (or was it 7?) fixes those issues related to powerplay/dpm.

You should get AMD to pay you, honestly I don't see WHY they can't just specify kernel 4.4++++ in the code instead of having to be explicit all the time?!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Just use 4.4 and all is fine without a stupid hack...
                  , except if you need CIK enabled then again I could have just compiled without a version change. My mistake, didn't think it would matter. I will rebuild the 4.4 kernel soon without my VERSION mod on the end (I did that because EVERY guide said to, so I did, pfft.
                  Last edited by theriddick; 02 July 2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Well I can't get DKMS installed for the life of me, rejects my system outright, no idea except for this log file. No good at reading this crap.

http://pastebin.com/Em4fpFDc

Comment

Working...
                    X