No announcement yet.

The OpenGL Speed & Performance-Per-Watt From The Radeon RX 480 To HD 4850/4870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's looking more and more like my next serious Linux desktop machine will be equipped with a radeon 480

Comment

It looks like AMD is a full generation behind Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        It looks like AMD is a full generation behind Nvidia.
        It looks like you like to troll.

We all know this card is not going to be the high end of their product line - it's the mid range targeted card.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

We all know this card is not going to be the high end of their product line - it's the mid range targeted card.
          I'm referring to performance per watt, which is what this article is about. Performance per watt is in the same ballpark of the 970, which is on a 4-year old process node.

But you knew that already.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I don't know what else to think... Are AMD opengl drivers really bad or is it the hardware... because AMD with directx seems really powerful but with all these bad ports, they aren't making true justice to the hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

I don't know what else to think... Are AMD opengl drivers really bad or is it the hardware... because AMD with directx seems really powerful but with all these bad ports, they aren't making true justice to the hardware...
              PS4's GNM/X API seems also cool, but perf depend on dev too... where they optimize for target case While PC gaming is all about scalability, as no one knows what hardware combo user will have

BTW, rumor said PS4 NEO will have sort of this RX 480 graphics, so just guessing that might explain (cos big production plan) low price for it on PCs Or maybe they will wait for Vega like XBO S
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 July 2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I'm referring to performance per watt, which is what this article is about. Performance per watt is in the same ballpark of the 970, which is on a 4-year old process node.

But you knew that already.
                It's not so bad on Windows, where the poor OpenGL driver performance isn't driving efficiency down.

But I actually agree with you, for the most part. GCN is not as good as Maxwell/Pascal. It's only the improved manufacturing that's allowing the 480 to surpass Maxwell, and I'm hoping that Vega will have some improvements to be able to compete against Pascal.

Anyway, what's up with you lately? I don't think i've seen you post anything except simple trollbait in months. You used to at least make *some* contributions to these threads. Or maybe my memory is just going bad.

Comment

So Michael, you couldn't find that 2.5x perf/Watt compared to 28nm either, could you?
                  And before anyone asks, I didn't make that up: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/22...-utilize-gddr5
                  Last edited by bug77; 01 July 2016, 04:13 AM.

Comment

@Michael: concerning auto-generated graphs, the "sub-title" ( "> Performance per watt - more is better" for example ) is really too small.
                    It is impossible to read it on a full HD laptop without zooming 200%+

Hope it could help, very interresting article BTW (once I zoomed )

Edit : just tried to help but it as an auto-generated pic CSS does not help...
                    <object type="image/svg+xml" data="//openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1606302-HA-RADEONRX435&amp;sha=31a1483&amp;p=2"></object>
                    Last edited by Passso; 01 July 2016, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      So Michael, you couldn't find that 2.5x perf/Watt compared to 28nm either, could you?
                      And before anyone asks, I didn't make that up: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/22...-utilize-gddr5
                      Wasn't it even 2.8x performance per watt RX 470 vs R9 270X?
                      We don't have the RX 470 (polaris 10)and the RX 460 (polaris 11) yet so who knows it might still be true even that i think that marketing always uses corner cases to prove a point.

Comment

Working...
                      X