No announcement yet.

The OpenGL Speed & Performance-Per-Watt From The Radeon RX 480 To HD 4850/4870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OpenGL Speed & Performance-Per-Watt From The Radeon RX 480 To HD 4850/4870

Phoronix: The OpenGL Speed & Performance-Per-Watt From The Radeon RX 480 To HD 4850/4870

With the Radeon RX 480 Linux review now being out of the way and our various other RX 480 Linux benchmarks, the latest results I have to share with being a benchmarking fanatic are RX 480 results with high-end AMD GPU tests of each generation going back to the Radeon HD 4850/4870 (RV770) days. This article has high-end GPUs from the RX 480 to RX 200, HD 7900, HD 6900, HD 6800, HD 5800, and HD 4800 series compared side-by-side with the latest open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver code. Not only is the raw performance being looked at but the system power consumption was also being polled in real-time for looking at the performance-per-Watt too. For any other benchmarking fanatics curious about the Radeon GPU evolution over the past eight years (RV770 launch in 2008), here are the numbers to enjoy.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice tests, Michael!
    And good work AMD!

I will say what many other people have been saying these days: my next PC will have either Polaris or Vega. But I'll wait for Zen to see how it turns out.
    I was originally waiting for Skylake (from Sandybridge), but for me at least it turned out not to be so impressive. Probably because intel pumped it up so much. The price is also not a big incentive.

Comment

The HD 4850 results indicate a higher FPS than the other older GPUs since it failed to handle the OpenGL tessellation code path.
      It didn't fail to handle anything, the hardware just doesn't have tessellation!! When HD 4850 was released, tessellation didn't even exist in DX and GL APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

It didn't fail to handle anything, the hardware just doesn't have tessellation!! When HD 4850 was released, tessellation didn't even exist in DX and GL APIs.
        It actually does have tessellation and it called ati truform, been there from the radeon 8500 era. But of course you are right, tessellation which hd4850 uses is not compatible with OpenGL4 and DX11 api tessellation and thus not usable.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Just a note: Replacing "Relative Performance" with "Relative Performance Per Watt" in the charts might improve readability of the article.
          It usually says XXX Per Watt, but then when I normalized the values, that pass overrode that string. I guess I should just patch pts_Graph to append "Relative " to as a prefix of the string when doing that pass.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

to be fair, ATI TruForm was available since Radeon 8500, it's just that nobody used it until it became part of standard API

Comment

Oh no, RX 480 has joined the green team

Comment

Looking nice and the progress from one generation to the next is quite visible. I wonder how RX 460 (Polaris 11?) / 470 / 490 will be placed in comparison to the RX 480. Polaris 11 is supposed to be less punchy but even more power efficient.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

It actually does have tessellation and it called ati truform, been there from the radeon 8500 era. But of course you are right, tessellation which hd4850 uses is not compatible with OpenGL4 and DX11 api tessellation and thus not usable.
                  Well man, this is Marek. He knows best what tessellation is, especially when he actually did r300( where first TruForm hardware appeared) driver for Mesa.

Comment

The Tesseract results are quite interesting while the R9 285 had failed to run this benchmark for unknown reasons.
                    I didn't quite understand the quoted part since there is R9 285 results in the graphs.
                    Was it supposed to explain that earlier R9 285 used to fail those tests but it works now?

Comment

Working...
                    X