Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 480: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMDGPU-PRO - Interesting CPU/Power Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind if very occasionally articles are for premium subscribers.

It was slightly annoying that I had to log in to read, since first I had to go to the forums, then I had to log in, then I had click back to the article and refresh the page. The login system needs work if this is going to be a thing, so I don't need to navigate away from the article and perform a refresh. Yes, I don't store cookies in my browser generally.

Regarding RSS feeds, I too share the above concerns, although I'm not an RSS-feed regular (but I do use them from time to time).

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      > This article is temporarily only available to Phoronix Premium members

Not a fan of this. No doubt like many of your readers, I follow Phoronix through RSS feeds - and if the article comes up on the feeds but isn't accessible when I click on it, well... the article might as well not exist, because I'm unlikely to come back to it later on the chance that it's now available.

I understand the desire to bring money in from subscribers, but this feels like something that will hurt rather than help...
      lwn.net does just fine with it. Phoronix Premium is not that expensive if you're here often. I encourage you to jump on the bandwagon.
      And of course, you can wait the day or so it takes for it to transition to general audience.

Comment

Since it works right out of the box launch day, I am going to pick one or two of these up. Congratulations AMD, you rock. I bought an Intel Skylake NUC and I haven't been able to get it to work without crashing badly when the i965 driver is booted up. My experience with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell has been excellent, so this both surprised and disappointed me significantly.

I'll be happy to get a real GPU working, and it'll even support display modes I couldn't hope for on Iris Pro 580.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Since it works right out of the box launch day, I am going to pick one or two of these up. Congratulations AMD, you rock. I bought an Intel Skylake NUC and I haven't been able to get it to work without crashing badly when the i965 driver is booted up. My experience with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell has been excellent, so this both surprised and disappointed me significantly.

I'll be happy to get a real GPU working, and it'll even support display modes I couldn't hope for on Iris Pro 580.
          I've got Skylake working on Fedora 24. What distros you trying?
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            > This article is temporarily only available to Phoronix Premium members

Not a fan of this. No doubt like many of your readers, I follow Phoronix through RSS feeds - and if the article comes up on the feeds but isn't accessible when I click on it, well... the article might as well not exist, because I'm unlikely to come back to it later on the chance that it's now available.

I understand the desire to bring money in from subscribers, but this feels like something that will hurt rather than help...
            I think it is well worth the try: It seems to work fine for e.g. lwn.net. What they do is put a [$] in front of the heading, so unsubscribed users know they will have to wait 7 days before the article becomes available and quite a few people I know come back to these articles once they have become free. As Phoronix is a website of more volatile content, either the time interval should be shorter or the articles released this way should be of more long lived content.

Comment

So how does one read these articles? I'm logged into my account (obviously, since I'm posting), but I just see the page saying that it's for Phoronix Premium members only ("ean" is a misspelling on that page). All of the ads are still there as well. I've tried refreshing with no change. My account page shows that my membership is still active.

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                So how does one read these articles? I'm logged into my account (obviously, since I'm posting), but I just see the page saying that it's for Phoronix Premium members only ("ean" is a misspelling on that page). All of the ads are still there as well. I've tried refreshing with no change. My account page shows that my membership is still active.

What am I missing?
                Did you check "remember me" to set the cookie?

Comment

Same problem for me...

Comment

As I can not read this article, have there been any vdpauinfo outputs of both drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Did you check "remember me" to set the cookie?
                      That did it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X