"Radeon Settings" GUI Control Panel May Be Open-Sourced For AMD Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Radeon Settings" GUI Control Panel May Be Open-Sourced For AMD Linux Users

Phoronix: "Radeon Settings" GUI Control Panel May Be Open-Sourced For AMD Linux Users

Besides the Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" performance numbers no longer being under NDA (see our 12-page Radeon RX 480 Linux review!), also being made public today are the Radeon Software improvements to Radeon Settings around WattMan, the successor to PowerPlay for overclocking/underclocking via the Radeon GUI control panel. But isn't Radeon Settings Windows-only? Yes, for now, but they are looking at the possibility of opening up Radeon Settings for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice to use this with the open source driver 😃
    I look forward to this opening.

Does someone know what happened to the various initiatives targeting open source cross vendor graphics settings user interfaces?

Comment

Really hope this happens ASAP open source or not.

Comment

That would be amazing to have as free software, so it could be included in various GNU/Linux distributions out of the box at some point!

Comment

Go ahead, open it up! (Like nvidia-settings has been for years...)

Comment

I'd welcome something like that quite a lot, also for undervolting purposes. The question is how much Kernel "basement" do you need for this? I guess we'll first have to have all the parts in AMDGPU in the kernel so a userland tool can be used to adjust these things. Well, and this is alredy being worked on in some form.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Just so that people are aware, there is already an existing radeon profile GUI app that supports the existing radeon kernel driver:
              Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-amdgpu) - marazmista/radeon-profile

It can at least handle setting specific settings when launching a given game, setting fan speed overrides, and switching power profiles... Not as fancy as the windows gui for radeon settings, but it's there....

Comment

Why would they release the control panel as closed source in the first place?

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                  Go ahead, open it up! (Like nvidia-settings has been for years...)
                  Totally concur!

Nvidia-settings is rather quite basic with not that many clocking options as compared to the upcoming WattMan. Hopefully this will up the ante so that nVidia will come out with something killer to counter WattMan. If the RX480 and future cards can knock nVidia off the pedestal then I just might pull the trigger and go with the Red Team when it comes time for me to replace my aging NV 9800GTX.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Why would they release the control panel as closed source in the first place?

Cheers,
                    _
                    They most likely released it as closed source as it is more of a pre-release item and when the time is right they could well open the code.

Comment

Working...
                    X