AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well "running" is a vague description, somewhere it "runs". But I see no diff to a closed source firmware which was stored in the hardware itself. It has just something to do with the Debian or FSF definition of non-free. But current hardware needs that, so take it or use legacy hardware...
    Whatever software is published as blob only it is non-free. But Debian definition is that they just has blob firmwares disabled by default (so it is good with both worlds, disabled you are in world one and if you enabled it you are in world two), while FSF kernel distros prevents users from even using those at all and terminate any sniff of blob marketing in those distros

Difference is that Debian does not prevent user to go there, while FSF like to prevent user to go there. So, "option is not a problem" vs "option is a problem"

FSF like to endorse distros which have maximum possible prevention at the time with no other in a blobby way option, so i guess if further in future someone make distro which even prevent user from running any blobby-only software, FSF will start to endorse only those distros and drop those that are currently endorsed
    Last edited by dungeon; 04 July 2016, 02:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by efikkan View Post
      Most rational people want something that actually works well. When people have to run a firmware blob anyway, a kernel blob is not that big of a deal.
      GTX 1060 will be available in 1-2 weeks, so stay tuned.
      Firmware blobs don't taint your kernel. Binary only userspace (steam games) also don't. Only the nVidia driver does that.

Comment

• Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Is it? I removed to cover to try and find the origin of my problem. It turns out the fan has a plastic base that is screwed in three places to the card. However this base itself is only attached in two points to the motor's PCB.
        Yes it is for any blind fanboy who did not buy it.

Comment

• Either way, congrats to AMD. They've fullfilled their promise and new AMD GPU got supported in Linux right at launch date. Nearly first time in AMD's story, eh? Not to mention opensource drivres were kicking the ass for sure. In some games and gputest they've outperformed "pro" thing and were very competitive.

I think everyone following Linux GPU drivers development have to admit AMD did really good job and state of their Linux drivers have improved greatly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I see no reason to focus on OSS drivers for gaming. I would like to see vdpauinfo and Kodi/mpv test in case of HEVC Main 10 active. I would use the best possible driver for the purpose i want to use a card.
            Then you should probably change your badge to Windows Something Developer, don't you? You're so good at praising proprietary or patented crap. If you do not really care whether things are opensource, windows got more games and they tend to perform better. At least because most engines were created with DX in mind and GL happens via wrappers or some code bolted in really odd ways. I do not really get how you could "develop" something if you can't even report Linux kernel bug. Linux kernel devs would show you middle finger once they spot tainted kernels. Then you're really on your own and when one thinks its okay, they taking a bit too much on themselves, assuming they could properly support whole Linux kernel single-handed.

Comment

• I would like to know how many kernel crashes YOU reported! You can be sure that unbootable systems because of a binary module are very rare if you work correctly. The main kernel error messages i remember that I reported have been i965 (Intel) related. Standard desktop systems can be debugged relatively easy, i don't get your problem. I developed on the fly GFX detection with possible mesa override too, i can switch cards/drivers very fast to debug issues you could not report

Comment

• Originally posted by juno View Post
                bridgman, agd5f, etc (the whole team): thanks for making this happen!
                Poor twriter always gets forgotten

Comment

• Sorry, I don't know him but I think this is included in "the whole team"

Comment

• Tim has been managing the open source team since 2012 or so... and came to the job with a very solid Linux background... unlike me

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE4ODU
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Tim has been managing the open source team since 2012 or so... and came to the job with a very solid Linux background... unlike me
                      Don't worry, after 10K posts on phoronix you will learn something abot Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X