AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gururise View Post
    A very useful OpenCL test that is immediately useful to many users would be bitcoin hash rate. I can't imagine it would be too hard to automate such a test in PTS.
    I thought mining has been a net loss on GPUs for a while as soon as you factor in electricity costs. Has that changed?​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I have more OpenCL tests coming.
      Good to know. Still, I guess you missed or ignored my point: the current article's OpenCL section is broken/flawed. Moreover, churning out benchmarks with text that repeats what the plots show is hardly "reporting", it's more akin to content mill activities.

I think the Linux community deserves _more_ quality over quantity. At least some in-depth stuff not just bar plots after bar plots often showing results of ill-conceived tests.

Don't get me wring, rhe technical work is appreciated, but very often I can learn as much (or more) from looking at the phoronix database alone as clicking through articles.
      Last edited by pszilard; 30 June 2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pszilard View Post
        Good to know. Still, I guess you missed or ignored my point: the current article's OpenCL section is broken/flawed.
        I may have missed your original point as well (I didn't knowingly ignore it) - what do you think is broken/flawed about the current OpenCL testing other than the need for additional/different tests ?
        Test signature

Comment

• Michael, can you post some more details how you got AMDGPU PRO working with RX 480? I tried today on Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon (beta so far), but after driver 16.30 installed successfully, I am not able to render desktop environment properly (no text, no icons). Interestingly enough, Steam app and its pop-ups work flawlessly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ixxxo View Post
            Michael, can you post some more details how you got AMDGPU PRO working with RX 480? I tried today on Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon (beta so far), but after driver 16.30 installed successfully, I am not able to render desktop environment properly (no text, no icons). Interestingly enough, Steam app and its pop-ups work flawlessly.
            I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 with it and I haven't had any problems when running on DisplayPort, but I did have problems with HDMI, but it doesn't seem like we are having the same problem.

Comment

• @Michael: thanks for this elaborate test!
              bridgman, agd5f, etc (the whole team): thanks for making this happen!
              It's the greatest recent AMD launch by far, imho. Sure, there is more to do but the initial state of support is very, very nice.
              AMD introduced the new way to go with the Linux stacks and delivered in time. I think we're looking at a great future for free, easy and high performing Linux graphics support.

Now I only wished all the development would happen more open in the public. Sure, the code is open, there is a lot on freedesktop.org, in irc channels, etc. etc. but I wish the components would move to some platform like github like the ROC ones did. Issue reports, feedback, feature requests, commits, pull requests, the code itself, comments... all together at one place, detailed but clearly arranged. Also, a public roadmap would be nice to see what is actually being worked on, allowing to estimate a rough date, too.
              I think a more "open" manner might also attract more community devs.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 with it and I haven't had any problems when running on DisplayPort, but I did have problems with HDMI, but it doesn't seem like we are having the same problem.
                Hm, I am using HDMI actually, will try to get DP cable to test. Wat were your issues? By the way, currently running on amdgpu + padoka ppa, I can start games but performance is super low (like 1 FPS already in menu, tested 2 games).

EDIT: Seems it was OS-related issue, I installed Mint 18 Mate and no issue. Btw one more guy reported same issue with amdgpu pro + R9 390, so might be issue of that particular Cinnamon edition of Mint or cinnamon itself. No problem with HDMI by the way.
                Last edited by ixxxo; 04 July 2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Not comparison, but you have couple 1080p numbers here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ide-By-Side-GL
                  now that's a sorry excuse for 1080p tests ... not usable without a lot of back and forth comparisons ...

Comment

• Originally posted by juno View Post
                    Now I only wished all the development would happen more open in the public. Sure, the code is open, there is a lot on freedesktop.org, in irc channels, etc. etc. but I wish the components would move to some platform like github like the ROC ones did. Issue reports, feedback, feature requests, commits, pull requests, the code itself, comments... all together at one place, detailed but clearly arranged. Also, a public roadmap would be nice to see what is actually being worked on, allowing to estimate a rough date, too.
                    We have also moved review/revision of patches etc.. from an internal ML to a public one at:

With ROC we had the ability to put everything in one place because most of the projects were all new, ie we were not working in projects that already have infrastructure and conventions in place. ROC's kernel is currently out of tree but we're in the process of pushing that upstream as well.

That said, what we are doing with ROC at the moment is pushing snapshot releases to github, so I guess there's no reason why something similar couldn't be done with the graphics stack once the infrastructure is in place. We are hoping to leverage the tools we are building for the hybrid/pro stack for use with all-open as well at some point, so I think we are all looking in the same direction.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Unapproved again
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X