AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dedale View Post
    About that, there are already firms announcing future custom cards with a 8 pin power plug to correct the issue.
    Yeah, and I'm sure going to wait with buying until that's fixed. And until the initial price surge is over. And until the RX 470 is available for comparison; it looks like it may be better in the performance per watt metric.
    I'm not in a hurry though, Zen isn't here yet, and my current system will do for another year if it has to.

Comment

• Originally posted by zboson View Post
      Would have been nice to see a LuxMark test and more OpenCL tests in general.
      As I've already said, more OpenCL tests are coming.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• No 1080p tests, unusable article. The card should shine at 1080p. 1440p and above is out of its league. Also what is the resolution tested for Metro ? there's none specified in the graph ...

Comment

• Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
          No 1080p tests, unusable article. The card should shine at 1080p. 1440p and above is out of its league. Also what is the resolution tested for Metro ? there's none specified in the graph ...
          Not comparison, but you have couple 1080p numbers here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ide-By-Side-GL

Comment

• Cheapest I've found thus far in Australia is AUD$370 for the 8GB version. Most are over 400.

I feel the Aussie tax being applied again. In layers. I'm tired of being called a millionaire (what ucking gamer's a millionaire and buying a 480!?)

=D

Yet again I need to import.
            Hi

Comment

• Cheaper than in Europe.

Comment

• I was very worried when I read the windows reviews, coz it seems that they haven't really improved the efficiency beyond what finfet brings to the table. But these linux results put me at slight ease. At least, in games and benchmarks where things are behaving as they should, the RX 480 seems to soar past the GTX 980 pretty easily. Sometimes, it's quite close to the 980Ti even. May be it's a sign that there is room for improvement on the side of Windows where the majority of the prospective buyers are? It's quite a good card for the price if looking at linux performance. The only issue that's bothering me even more than its performance is the fact that the card is drawing more power from the pcie bus. It's not really an issue AMD needs at this time.

Comment

• Michael, does the fan spin down to 0 rpm with normal desktop use?

Comment

• Originally posted by arunbupathy View Post
                    I was very worried when I read the windows reviews, coz it seems that they haven't really improved the efficiency beyond what finfet brings to the table. But these linux results put me at slight ease. At least, in games and benchmarks where things are behaving as they should, the RX 480 seems to soar past the GTX 980 pretty easily. Sometimes, it's quite close to the 980Ti even. May be it's a sign that there is room for improvement on the side of Windows where the majority of the prospective buyers are? It's quite a good card for the price if looking at linux performance. The only issue that's bothering me even more than its performance is the fact that the card is drawing more power from the pcie bus. It's not really an issue AMD needs at this time.
                    I don't why people are suddenly worried about this. I remember seeing an old GTX960 review where it showed that the card also exceeded PCI power draw standards. I doubt many cards stay within spec. All of a sudden this turns into an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post

I don't why people are suddenly worried about this. I remember seeing an old GTX960 review where it showed that the card also exceeded PCI power draw standards. I doubt many cards stay within spec. All of a sudden this turns into an issue.
                      The problem here is probably more that this card (RX460) is constantly using more than 75W on the PCIe socket, while some 960 and some 970 (mostly customs?) only had peaks of over 75W. Though it could maybe be a problem of the so called gaming motherboards (these with more bling bling for OC). Atleast that is, what I have read.

Comment

Working...
                      X