No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not an expert but I was expecting much better power usage and lower temperature. I was really thinking to build a desktop and use this card, now I have to reconsider it. The performances are good enough, especially in Vulkan, and certainly better in the (near) future. Very good is the state of the open source driver, the main reason that leave me thinking rather than buy a nvidia card like a 970GTX. Good the road AMD is following (and nice to have bridgman in the forum)

Comment

Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
      I'm not an expert but I was expecting much better power usage and lower temperature. I was really thinking to build a desktop and use this card, now I have to reconsider it. The performances are good enough, especially in Vulkan, and certainly better in the (near) future.
      Reference coolers tend to run hotter than the ones you see on AIB-designed cards, so make sure you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison. Cooler temps also tend to lead to slightly lower power draw.
      Test signature

Comment

Thank you for a great and very extensive test Michael! I have been looking forward to it for weeks. A few questions:

1) It looked like the R9 290 was under-performing a bit in many of the tests. At least compared to what I would expect compared to the other cards. Is there a known regression?
        2) Why didn't you include the FOSS stack for R9 290, but only for some of the cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Thank you for a great and very extensive test Michael! I have been looking forward to it for weeks. A few questions:

1) It looked like the R9 290 was under-performing a bit in many of the tests. At least compared to what I would expect compared to the other cards. Is there a known regression?
          2) Why didn't you include the FOSS stack for R9 290, but only for some of the cards?
          The FOSS stack for R9 290 is what's regressed like crazy right now on Linux 4.7.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Reference coolers tend to run hotter than the ones you see on AIB-designed cards, so make sure you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison. Cooler temps also tend to lead to slightly lower power draw.
            AIB? Sorry I'm not familiar with this acronym. I assume you're referring to the commercial cards (like ASUS, MSI, etc)?

As for the RX 480, I'm very pleased with the results, I just pre-ordered a Sapphire card from NCIX.
            Super excited

Comment

Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
              I'm not an expert but I was expecting much better power usage and lower temperature. I was really thinking to build a desktop and use this card, now I have to reconsider it.
              Yes, I expected ~1.5 the performance of TONGA Pro and ~0,6-0,7 of its power usage. The performance is OK, but the power usage is not exciting.
              Last edited by puleglot; 29 June 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                This test makes History today an Era ends today!
                Because it makes Closed Source OpenGL drivers obsolete
                means it performs the same +-1% or it is faster.
                This lifted a long standing damned and cursed illness of computer industries for to long we all suffer from closed source walled garden implementations Monopolizing the market to only benefit Nvidia und on the CPU side: Intel. But Now the Curse is broken we are no longer damned!
                We are now free! Free to ~~~~choose~~~~ a free world over profit maximising anti social and anti consumer Dictatorship.

Now Bridgman and other AMD employees need to take action : KILL THE CLOSED SOURCE OPENGL DRIVER WITH FIRE!!!!!!! KILL IT !!! END IT!!! NOW !!!! FOR THE GOOD OF ALL!!!!
                This reminds me someone... but who...

Last edited by Passso; 29 June 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  I can answer this one (since I asked Michael the same question ).

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                  Test signature

Comment

Wow. An AMD card that is competitive with NVIDIA, has stellar open source support on par with the proprietary driver, is cheap and in general is a really great value for the money?

I guess I'm off to buy my first AMD card.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                      AIB? Sorry I'm not familiar with this acronym. I assume you're referring to the commercial cards (like ASUS, MSI, etc)?
                      Correct - with pretty much every new chip the first round of cards all follow a standard formula then (after more time to test & tweak) more heavily customized cards start to appear.

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                      As for the RX 480, I'm very pleased with the results, I just pre-ordered a Sapphire card from NCIX.
                      Super excited
                      Excellent. Hope you enjoy it !
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X