No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's something amazing in 480, I'm not seeing it. A bit faster than 970, a bit more power hungry and only a tad cheaper.
    All other things being equal, you'd expect at least less power draw when going from 28nm to 14 nm.

It's not a bad card (Vulkan support looks strong, if we can judge based on a single benchmark), but I wonder how it will look next to the (apparently) pending 1060.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Did you look at the Mixbench results ? Those seem more representative of typical OpenCL workloads (being floating point rather than integer) and 480 performed between 980 and 980ti.
      I gave it a second look and i stand corrected. Vulkan performance is also promising. Windows tests are more positive.

Comment

Congratulations for the PRICE/PERFORMANCE benchmarking. And to AMD that reading also MS WOS benchmarks at other sites has close the gap MS WOS - GNU/Linux for their drivers. I would like also to give thanks to the first OEM to make a CHEAP but GOOD ENOUGH Steam Machine with this GPU I am sure AMD would be glad to become the king in Steam Machines and almost monopoly in consoles, but I do not understand why the chromebook successful pace of cheap but good enough is not followed by GNU/Linux pre installed machines as boxes, consoles, and celeron or arm laptops ("books")

Comment

@Michael

Where stay 1080p tests???

Comment

Originally posted by PyroDevil View Post
            RX 480 pretty much beats every contender at every benchmark (except for the fury), when you only look at those with open source drivers.

But then there isn't much competition left.
            You need new glasses.

Anyway those are good results and AMD is back to Linux market, congrats
            Now will 1060 beat it at perf/price... will be a good fight!

Comment

Waiting for the compact ITX card to replace my R9 380.

Comment

Looks like your server is getting hammered... I saw no charts at all, only text.

Comment

The vdpau info is missing for me.
                  I am interested as a RX 460 should have the same capability.
                  Want to upgrade my HTPC card to something HDR and 4K compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                    Waiting for the compact ITX card to replace my R9 380.
                    exactly what i'm also waiting for

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
                      Looks like your server is getting hammered... I saw no charts at all, only text.
                      Do you have JavaScript enabled? Charts are on another faster, server, should be no problem with them.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X