AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Would like to see vdpauinfo for both possible drivers. Basically that card is not too expensive, maybe a good choice for oss only gamers. I would not switch from a slightly slower Nvidia card for Linux gaming as several games are still faster with Nvidia. The GTX 1060/50 might be a good alternative or some used GTX 9xx cards.
    Seems like it should be able to do h265 at 4K60 and VP9 for all those who care. If someone doesn't, I'll report back on this in a couple of hours.

Comment

Thanks for the review Michael!

There's definitely nothing in there that makes me regret my GTX-1080 purchase, but props to AMD for getting you a review card. That's a good step that they should build on in the future.

Comment

Damn you, work colleague, for talking me out of hastily buying a card without checking the detailed specs first! I don't have time to do that till I get home! I was just going to opt for the Sapphire as usual but best be sure, I suppose.

Comment

*does the Ballmer dance*
          AMD, I have six words for ya:
          "Shut up and take my money! (Ieeaaaahhhh!)"
          (Now I just need a job / money. :/ )

These are some very promising benchmarks. Especially if you consider the early time for the freedom stack and the good pricing. Competitive within the own range of offers, the blob driver and also with the competition. I guess this will become even better and also add some of the features yet only present in the "Pro"-blob.

It will be interesting, though, to see some Polaris 11 benchmarks and Vega cards later this year.

Thanks to AMD and the developers for card and driver model and Michael for presenting us these Linux related tests!
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Disappointed. Especially by the openCL results. A second hand 970 would do better. :/

But kudos to them for sending you a card to review.

Comment

When it comes to Vulkan gaming, the results are amazing. Definitely a good investment for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                I did a live cd with polaris support(kernel, firmware, mesa\llvm git), I hope it is useful for someone.
                http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=3256
                Hello Pontostroy,

do you have some WATT numbers?
                Heise (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...l-3251042.html) has some (little) issues with the PCIe power specs / consumption...

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                  Disappointed. Especially by the openCL results. A second hand 970 would do better. :/
                  Did you look at the Mixbench results ? Those seem more representative of typical OpenCL workloads (being floating point rather than integer) and 480 performed between 980 and 980ti.
                  Test signature

Comment

any idea when the vulkan driver will be opensource?

Comment

RX 480 pretty much beats every contender at every benchmark (except for the fury), when you only look at those with open source drivers.

But then there isn't much competition left.
                      Last edited by PyroDevil; 29 June 2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X