Some Of The AMDGPU Changes Being Worked On For Linux 4.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

On the hardware I've tried, I couldn't reliably get past 5~10% with the original code...
    Which is normal for recent AMD GPUs. To get 10% you got to be very lucky in the silicon lottery, usually that is not possible without rising the voltage too.
    Maybe that changes with polaris, though...

I'm curious if and how the dal will make its way in the mainstream kernel. There are some important things missing when it cones to functionality

Comment

In order to have performance boost on GCN 1.0 you would still have to wait for closed part of the driver to be released?

Comment

The closed source binaries already should have code for all the GCN parts, so it's mostly a matter of getting the kernel driver bits working and integrated.
        Test signature

Comment

Yep, there was one set of tests which showed better performance for amdgpu kernel driver relative to radeon. IIRC the thinking at the time was that it was related to the GPU scheduler but don't know if that was ever confirmed.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Yep, there was one set of tests which showed better performance for amdgpu kernel driver relative to radeon. IIRC the thinking at the time was that it was related to the GPU scheduler but don't know if that was ever confirmed.
            I believe that test was Bioshock, and it was one that performed particularly poorly on the old drivers. I don't know that Michael ever showed any other modern games in comparison - i know stuff like Xanotic, etc. didn't show any differences.

Comment

Bridgman,

Can the amgpu kernel driver alone (w/o the amdgpu-pro component) be used in lieu of radeonsi?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                ... "buy a new laptop).
                No, don't buy a laptop at all.
                90% of the people buying a laptop don't need a laptop. A desktop would do.

Comment

Originally posted by archie2016 View Post
                  Is my R9 270 supported by the AMDGPU driver?
                  Last time I tried, I ended with a KP on booting into Arch, but I haven't tried any other distro.

I really don't understand what models are supported, and can be 'hacked' to get working.
                  Is Vulkan going to be available for the radeon driver?

The AMDGPU driver seems to get a lot of work done, hope they will be ported to the radeon, but I think this driver will be getting less updates.
                  Don't like the fast the AMDGPU PRO is being made, simple keep everything into one package. :/
                  To add what bridgman said, check out RadeonFeature's decoder ring or Wikipedia to see which chipset/GCN architecture your card is. (R9 270 = GCN 1.0).

Also, SI = Southern Islands = GCN 1.0, CI = Sea Islands = GCN 1.1, VI = Volcanic Islands = GCN 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                    Bridgman,

Can the amgpu kernel driver alone (w/o the amdgpu-pro component) be used in lieu of radeonsi?
                    This doesn't make sense. You need:

kernel support + user mode opengl support = full support

So pick one of these options:

amdgpu + radeonsi = all open
                    amdgpu + amdgpu-pro closed opengl = hybrid

bridgman is there a better name for the closed source opengl implementation in the amdgpu-pro hybrid?

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
                      bridgman is there a better name for the closed source opengl implementation in the amdgpu-pro hybrid?
                      No, but I agree we need one. Internally I call it Catalyst OpenGL (because that way everyone knows what I mean) but publicly I end up having to call it something like "the closed-source OpenGL driver" which sounds oxymoronic at best.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X