Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The AMDGPU Changes Being Worked On For Linux 4.8

Phoronix: Some Of The AMDGPU Changes Being Worked On For Linux 4.8

The AMD developers still have a few more weeks to get their new feature material ready for the Linux 4.8 kernel while here is an early look at some of the code merged so far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tests of GCN 1.0/1.1 card would be very interesting indeed... I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for 1.0/1.1 support to finally drop!!

Comment

Cue people asking for benchmarks with the 20% limit patched out, as far as it will go without crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Cue people asking for benchmarks with the 20% limit patched out, as far as it will go without crashing.
        On the hardware I've tried, I couldn't reliably get past 5~10% with the original code...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

my hd7850 GCN 1.0 card is also waiting for an AMDGPU upgrade.
          Mine too. I'll probably test it once linux 4.8 is released.

Comment

It would be nice to see support go back for at least the HD6000 series!
            I and friend as well as many others are still using the HD6870's.

Cheers !!

jer

Comment

Originally posted by geraldfryjr View Post

Cheers !!

jer
              There isn't much point in that, because open source radeon & r600 drivers support it and the OpenGL part of AMDGPU-PRO doesn't. So there wouldn't be any benefit from supporting it in amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by geraldfryjr View Post

Cheers !!

jer
                ... or you could spend $100 and get a brand new, completely silent, card that would outperform your old one by four times... And AMD wouldn't have to support GPUs that are 7 years old. (If you have a laptop: my bad, or "buy a new laptop).

Comment

Is my R9 270 supported by the AMDGPU driver?
                  Last time I tried, I ended with a KP on booting into Arch, but I haven't tried any other distro.

I really don't understand what models are supported, and can be 'hacked' to get working.
                  Is Vulkan going to be available for the radeon driver?

The AMDGPU driver seems to get a lot of work done, hope they will be ported to the radeon, but I think this driver will be getting less updates.
                  Don't like the fast the AMDGPU PRO is being made, simple keep everything into one package. :/
                  Last edited by archie2016; 26 June 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archie2016 View Post
                    Is my R9 270 supported by the AMDGPU driver?
                    Last time I tried, I ended with a KP on booting into Arch, but I haven't tried any other distro.

I really don't understand what models are supported, and can be 'hacked' to get working.
                    Pretty simple - for the Pro (hybrid) stack VI is QA'ed and officially supported, CI generally works but hasn't been QA'ed yet, SI is under development and not ready for end users.

For the all-open stack basically the same except CI is not enabled by default upstream yet. Note that nearly all of the stack is the same whether you are running with the radeon or amdgpu kernel drivers. In particular, the userspace GL and video drivers are *exactly* the same.

Is Vulkan going to be available for the radeon driver?

The AMDGPU driver seems to get a lot of work done, hope they will be ported to the radeon, but I think this driver will be getting less updates.
                    Don't like the fast the AMDGPU PRO is being made, simple keep everything into one package. :/
                    No plans to support Vulkan over radeon driver - the IOCTLs are pretty different.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here...
                    Last edited by bridgman; 26 June 2016, 07:11 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X