Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Graphics Performance With Radeon Software, AMDGPU-PRO, AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the article. Very interesting for Nvidia fan boy. Prrhaps next my card can be ATI. Though i am not changing my gtx780ti any time soon... No money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Why?

There're three popular C/C++ compilers — GCC, Clang, and — the only closed compiler — the MS one. Last time I compared GCC produced code faster than Clang. And GCC has really many optimizations. I can't compare with MS one, but I actually very doubt it produces assembly better than GCC.
      I don't think that GCC is anywhere near Intel or MS compilers, at least for Intel CPUs. Also we should add power governors and the Gallium threading model. I get a lot of overhead even on Gallium Nine.

Comment

Just realised that these tests are done in 4K resolution...

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
          It's good to see that the Vulkan performance is about the same for Linux and Windows. If Polaris is indeed competitive with Nvidia cards, I'll likely buy a RX 480.
          It probably *wont* be.

Current indications are a bit better performance than the R9 390 but for $199 (that is quite a lot of bang for your buck though)

So, all those people wanting to upgrade to something that can support VR can, without breaking the bank.

Comment

Thanks

Looks like only Nvidia drivers are having the problem of Linux Vulkan performing slower than Windows vulkan.

Similar to Michael's results on my AMD R9 290 as well Linux Vulkan performs the same as Windows Vulkan in Talos Principle.

Comment

A really nice comparison. I'm really happy with the results because I see a great improvement. There are still performance issues with some badly ported games but on the other hand Metro Last Light and Bioshock Infinite performed even better than on Windows. So I would say that in total the linux drivers are going to get on par with the Windows drivers.
              I'm really looking forward to get my RX 480: http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500m...ool-voltage-2/

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It probably *wont* be.

Current indications are a bit better performance than the R9 390 but for $199 (that is quite a lot of bang for your buck though)
                Well the GPUs they are releasing as Polaris are actually designed to compete with Nvidia 1060 and below. Which Nvidia will probably release soon after. Mainstream market.
                AMD's competition to the GTX 1070,1080 and above comes via their Vega architecture which will take a few more months to release. High end market.

Comment

It probably *wont* be.

Polaris architecture is designed to compete with Nvidia GTX 1060 and below. Which Nvidia will probably release shortly. Mainstream market.
                  AMD's competition for the GTX 1070, 1080 and above comes in the form of the Vega architecture (formerly Greenland). Will take a few more months to come out. High end market.

Comment

It probably *wont* be.

So, all those people wanting to upgrade to something that can support VR can, without breaking the bank.
                    Some benchmarks show it performing better than a GTX 970 and in some cases even a 980.
                    It doesn't need to beat a 980 or a 1070, but it should at least perform comparable to Nvidia cards of the same price.
                    At the bare minimum it needs to beat a 960. (On Linux+Vulkan, OpenGL may be a lost cause.)
                    I'll have to wait until reviewers get their hands on a RX 480, to see what it is capable off.

Comment

FYI I will have launch day RX 480 Linux review.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X