No announcement yet.

AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if it really comes at $200, then need a lot of thinking and benchmarks to see if the extra frames of a 1070 worth that extra $180 price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
      Who cares about the 1080 when looking for a decent gfx card? The FE is priced 700$.
      It was clear all the time, that P10 won't be a competitor for GP104.

We'll have to see what Nvidia does with the GP104-150 (heavily cut-down salvage) or if their GP106 is ready yet. You can compare to those, then. Until then, 970/960/950 are the competitors.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      This seems to give some credence to that [H] article posted by Kyle Bennett about the inner disaster at AMD. If they have to sell the card this cheaply, they must have a real turd on their hands.
      They have said that Polaris will be cheap al the time. Just because they have been honest doesn't mean bs.
      The chip is only a tiny 232 sqmm. 14LPP is said to be cheapter than 16FF+. We don't know if this is salvage or full chip.
      From an objective perspective, nothing seems really wrong with the pricing.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Link to the bennett story?
      Forget this "article". It is just a made-up story from a butthurt ....
      Last edited by juno; 01 June 2016, 02:44 AM.

Comment

In the AOS test, its quite clear that its 2x 480 cards. If you can't figure that out then well sorry. Its likely not using the traditional crossfire mode but its MultiGPU none the less.

I would like to see AMD bring multiGPU to Linux and OpenGL in a reliable fashion.

Comment

> The RX 480 is said to have 1.7x performance/Watt improvement.
          Isn't it 2.8x ?
          1.7x for FinFET 14 lithographic process + additional architecture improvements
          total 2.8x improvements

Comment

The hardocp article is this:

For some reason the link option in forum breaks this link.
            Last edited by darkcoder; 01 June 2016, 02:48 AM.

Comment

The price is very nice till faster GTX 1050/GTX 1060 will be there. Will be interesting to see Nvidia's price tag. What I hope is that much cheaper Polaris 11 cards for HTPC use will be there soon. If I would need a special selling idea for those i would implement CEC.
              Last edited by Kano; 01 June 2016, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                QThe price is very nice till faster GTX 1050/GTX 1060 will be there. Will be interesting to see Nvidia's price tag. What I hope is that much cheaper Polaris 11 cards for HTPC use will be there soon. If I would need a special selling idea for those i would implement CEC.
                CEC would be really nice. Even the original raspberry has that but no full-blown HTPC does...
                You know about GTX1050/1060 already? How could you say those are faster?
                I'd expect similar performance between GP106 and P10. However, Nvidia might still release GP104-150 as GTX 1060 Ti, but there is still a huge price gap between RX480 and GTX 1070.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                I would like to see AMD bring multiGPU to Linux and OpenGL in a reliable fashion.
                Really? Who wants multi GPU if not for computing? It is a pita for real time 3D...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Zen will sample to priority customers in "few weeks" and roll out in Q3.
                "Roll out" means what? Are they going to be purchasable in Q3 already?
                Last edited by juno; 01 June 2016, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Why? If performance matters then Vulkan can be used, which supports explicit multi-GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    The price is very nice till faster GTX 1050/GTX 1060 will be there. Will be interesting to see Nvidia's price tag. What I hope is that much cheaper Polaris 11 cards for HTPC use will be there soon. If I would need a special selling idea for those i would implement CEC.
                    Unless AMD messed something up in Polaris it should be faster than a 980 in performance, since it's essentially a 390 with higher clocks and significant improvements to the arch. The 1060 being faster than that would put it in 1070 territory, so that doesn't seem very likely to me

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      This seems to give some credence to that [H] article posted by Kyle Bennett about the inner disaster at AMD. If they have to sell the card this cheaply, they must have a real turd on their hands.
                      Or maby it's just other manufacturers that are way to overpriced for what they actually offer you?

Comment

Working...
                      X