AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    "The Radeon RX 480 is being promoted as being competitive with $500 current generation cards like the GTX 980 and R9 390X."

And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
    AMD clearly didn't target the high-end market, given that they aren't even exceeding the performance of their current cards. This is their play to try to regain market share, and therefore relevance, by targeting the mass market with more affordable hardware.

I've seen a couple people mention that Vega is due this year. Has that changed? Last i heard, it was targeted for sometime in the first half of 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

They didn't specifically mention crossfire (or I missed it) and I believe were talking about Vulkan. Perhaps part of the holy grail multi-gpu support? But yeah, only speculation for now.

yes, it was the modern API (one of them) and AoS. I suppose I am getting to set in my ways

Comment

This seems to give some credence to that [H] article posted by Kyle Bennett about the inner disaster at AMD. If they have to sell the card this cheaply, they must have a real turd on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          This seems to give some credence to that [H] article posted by Kyle Bennett about the inner disaster at AMD. If they have to sell the card this cheaply, they must have a real turd on their hands.
          Link to the bennett story?
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Or it has been their play all along. AMD need more sales and cashflow. That used to come from having the best (what wins on Sunday sells on Monday mentality)

but with VR and 4k, suddenly there is a use case to have a very beasty card again. If they have designed something that is powerful that they can sell cheap and regain market share and more importantly mind share that targets those 2 markets 6 months before nvidia can. they win (this year)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
              It is the RX 480.
              Why should it be expected to compete with GPUs from a higher tier?
              AMD still has the 490 and higher (vega) GPUs coming up.

Comment

I am interested in its lower end model as using an ITX tiny case, keeping the card cool is more important.

Currently using GTX750 Ti, previous AMD 6850 green.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                  I stopped watching the live stream. Too much windows crap for an AMD event.
                  Yeah, that is very unfortunate that AMD seems to promote Microsoft at every opportunity. But at least it seems Vulkan gets a bit more time, and not almost all DirectX 12 like last year.

Interesting part, the Microsoft representative asked who runs Windows 10 (many hands raised) and then asked who likes Windows 10 (few hands raised).

Comment

?

Nvidia brings 30% improvement for the same price (980 Ti vs 1080), and everybody say "Good Job!".
                    AMD brings 50% improvement for same price (960 vs 970)* and people say "Disaster, AMD RIP".

On top of that Nvidia will simply steal AMD high end, yes? Whole 3% of it???
                    While AMD will simply steal like what? Only majority of Nvidia sales. (960 is THE BEST selling Nvidia GPU)

* Using Nvidia GPUs on purpose here to better showcase what is going on!

Comment

Do they actually mention price, or you deduce it from the slide? Any price under $240 will make valid the slide claim.

Also AoS favor ATI due to Async Shaders. In DX11 titles may not be the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X