AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

Phoronix: AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

If you weren't able to watch the AMD Computex 2016 live-stream happening now, here are my key notes from the event...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I stopped watching the live stream. Too much windows crap for an AMD event.

Comment

Woo hoo !!!

Go red team !!!

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
        I stopped watching the live stream. Too much windows crap for an AMD event.
        +1. Went to the live-blog instead.

Comment

"The Radeon RX 480 is being promoted as being competitive with $500 current generation cards like the GTX 980 and R9 390X."

And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.

Comment

I got on the stream late so went back n watched the Polaris stuff. I like how they tried spin it that you could get 2 of their cards cheaper than the 1080 with more untapped potential.

I watched a little bit of the MS engineer and there was a funny moment when he asked who had Win10 and maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of the audience put their hands up. He then asked who liked Win10 and only a few hands went up LOL!

I must say AMD president got me pumped about Zen at the end even if it was nothing really new. You could tell she was genuinely excited.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              "The Radeon RX 480 is being promoted as being competitive with $500 current generation cards like the GTX 980 and R9 390X."

And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
              Allegedly two 480s will overtake the NVIDIA 1080, cost less *and* only have 50% utilization. EDIT: That's what was shown in the stream at least.

Comment

one of the slides presented, seemed to state that in some situations, two 480's in crossfire will be able to handle as much as a 1080, yet still run under the price of one 1080. Gonna have to wait for the benchmarks. But, the 480 only has one 6 pin connector, should be interesting to see what it can do. I believe the price range for the 4xx series as stated is between 100-300 dollars, so maybe the 490ish will not be too much higher in price. AMD's priority is definitely on volume and market share. If they can manage to deliver solid performance for a good price, and deliver good drivers/support, it should be a positive move for AMD, imo.

I am hoping ZEN stays above 4 cores. 4 cores has been toooooo long. Time to start going up to 8 and 12.

Comment

Sounds pretty good, $200 it's about what I paid for my GTX 650 to use it with nouveau (yeah i'm that crazy)
                  If this proves to be faster than my current GTX I might actually buy this RX 480.

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                    one of the slides presented, seemed to state that in some situations, two 480's in crossfire will be able to handle as much as a 1080, yet still run under the price of one 1080.
                    They didn't specifically mention crossfire (or I missed it) and I believe were talking about Vulkan. Perhaps part of the holy grail multi-gpu support? But yeah, only speculation for now.
                    Last edited by fuzz; 31 May 2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X