AMD Confirms RX 480 At $199 USD, Other APU & Polaris Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    I started to watch when win10 evangelist was speaking, luckily he did not speak long and I could watch the event at the beginning when the broadcast ended.
    lol

150W is too much for my taste, I will wait for Polaris 11 dgpu.
    Yes, it's a bit sad, there was no info about P11.

Stay tuned for http://www.pcgamingshow.com/ June 13th. That's where they did actually announce their previous gen. This event on Computex was more something of a tease for Polaris.

Both, P10 and P11 should be available in July, I guess.

Comment

@Raven3x7

I am pretty sure Nvidia will sell a card only slightly faster with a higher price. Don't think they are stupid but the GTX 1070 is a Titan X replacement, not GTX 980. AMD shines in DX 12 titles, ok there are one or two. CF in general is not the optimal solution but you can sell it as upgrade later for Windows gamers. Wait till you see other benchmarks not only Ashes of the Singularity.
      Last edited by Kano; 01 June 2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Radeon RX 480 will sell for just $199 USD! This is part of their goal to "bring real VR to the first 100 million people" with "gamers and consumers being left behind" due to cost factors.
        Don't you just love when companies treat you like you're brain dead?
        The current price barrier for VR is ~$300 for a GTX 970 plus at least $600 for an HTC Vive. You shave $100 off the price of a video card and you're still looking at $800. Real low entry barrier.
        You could go with a Samsung Gear VR, but that still requires getting a Galaxy S6/S7 and the price varies wildly (outside of the US, subsidised phones are not as popular), plus Samsung may not be everyone's cup of tea...
        Plus, I can't find many slides about the 480, but it seems AMD uses "performance" and "performance in AoS" interchangeably.

Comment

150W is too much for my taste, I will wait for Polaris 11 dgpu.
          All we know is it has a 6pin PCIe connector, meaning it draws more power than the slot (75w) can provide. I could use less than 150w for all we know.
          Last edited by Bagnaj97; 01 June 2016, 04:32 AM.

Comment

@Bagnaj97: they said the TDP to be 150 W. Typical power consumption might be a bit lower, of course.

Comment

Typical negative nerds. When you grow up you'll learn to appreciate good news.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                This seems to give some credence to that [H] article posted by Kyle Bennett about the inner disaster at AMD. If they have to sell the card this cheaply, they must have a real turd on their hands.
                I have to agree on that. Besides the GPU price being set very low (which will destroy any margin they could have had ... ), the main issue seems to be that the clocks can't go higher.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
                  Besides the GPU price being set very low (which will destroy any margin they could have had ... )
                  Polaris10 is rumoured to have a 232mm² die size, if true that compares favourably against the 366mm² and 438mm² of the 380x and 390x respectively. Smaller dies are easier and cheaper to produce so they could still have increased margins over last gen.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
                    are you off your meds? nobody buys cards with 1080 price, so it can't destroy anything. amd has enough brain to start from mainstream price range which people actually buy. 1080 competition is called vega and is coming in the end of this year

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
                      I have to agree on that. Besides the GPU price being set very low (which will destroy any margin they could have had ... ), the main issue seems to be that the clocks can't go higher.
                      Clocks are alright, ~25% higher compared to the 28 HPP predecessor.
                      If the memory controllers can handle GDDR5X, there might come a higher clocked version, if they can't, there is no sense in rising the clocks even higher as it is already in the GDDR5 limit.

Comment

Working...
                      X