AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL vs. NVIDIA 364 Compute Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL vs. NVIDIA 364 Compute Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL vs. NVIDIA 364 Compute Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Coming up in a short while I have some fresh AMDGPU-PRO BETA 2 (the fresh -PRO "hybrid" driver release) for OpenGL graphics performance while here are some quick OpenCL compute metrics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm this is some very interesting progress, considering how new and un-polished this is. I like what I see.

Comment

Why is the OpenCL performance with AMD on Windows still >30% higher, even compared to the hybrid/proprietary driver?

Comment

i want to see the performance in game (but not only xonotic and other light OpenSource games).

Comment

That's still sort of a disappointment considering that the Fury is suppposed to have more compute power and that Nvidia only provides basic OpenCL functionality since it really focuses on CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
            i want to see the performance in game (but not only xonotic and other light OpenSource games).
            this is about computing and has nothing to do with gaming or real time 3d graphics at all.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            That's still sort of a disappointment considering that the Fury is suppposed to have more compute power and that Nvidia only provides basic OpenCL functionality since it really focuses on CUDA.
            Yeah, quite a bit. However, Nvidia's OpenCL implementation is not that bad and there is some OpenCL software that runs better on Nvidia. Blender's Cycles renderer didn't even run on AMD for quite some time, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              this is about computing and has nothing to do with gaming or real time 3d graphics at all.
              yes i know, but i've only said that i would see a benchmark on gaming performance of this new driver

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post

yes i know, but i've only said that i would see a benchmark on gaming performance of this new driver
                And Michael said (since yesterday), that new benchmarks are on their way.
                Even if he didn't, I think it helps it you attach your requests/wishes to a tip/subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                  However, Nvidia's OpenCL implementation is not that bad and there is some OpenCL software that runs better on Nvidia. Blender's Cycles renderer didn't even run on AMD for quite some time, for example.
                  I don't know if Blender is a good example, they Cycles's OpenCL kernel were one huge file, I don' know if it is a anti-pattern, but they had to split it in some files, each doing it's responsibility, and after this change it improved even on Nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                    I don't know if Blender is a good example
                    Me neither. It just came into my mind as 'worst case' (didn't work at all). But there are tests for Windows too, where Nvidia is faster in some OpenCL programs, I just wanted to refute the Nvidia is all over CUDA-view

Comment

Working...
                    X