Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything that uses EGL segfaults with AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu 16.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

About a month later, I'm having similar issues trying to run sway: https://github.com/SirCmpwn/sway or orbment https://github.com/Cloudef/orbment window managers for wayland. Both of them segfault on:
    Code:
    amdgpu_query_gpu_info (in /usr/lib/amdgpu-pro/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1.0.0)
    Here's the gdb stack: http://pastebin.com/tcMuRrs9
    And valgrind output: http://pastebin.com/kfK2XTyY

I am running Arch Linux with kernel 4.8.0-rc1-mainline, with mesa-git 12.1.0, and amgpu-pro stack (+ wayland's wlc-git)
    Any hints as to why this happens and what can be done about it?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Do not use unstable wayland code. Sure nobody has tested the software mix you are using.
      The same thing goes for stable wlc/sway from the community repositories. Since the segfault is similar to the ones mentioned in this thread, coming from the driver, I though the issue could be related.
      You're right though, I should give it a go with stable kernel and mesa as well.

Comment

Any update on this bridgman ? It must mean it's very broken for Fedora also for example, which has Gnome desktop by default.

Comment

Tested again with 16.40 driver on my clean Ubuntu 16.04 install:

es2gears, es2_info and es2tri all still segfault.

Also, vdpau info gives:
          vdpauinfo
          display: :0 screen: 0
          Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_amdgpu.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
          Error creating VDPAU device: 1

VDPAU drivers seem to only be available under opt:
          dpkg -L libvdpau-amdgpu-pro
          /.
          /usr
          /usr/share
          /usr/share/doc
          /usr/share/doc/libvdpau-amdgpu-pro
          /usr/share/doc/libvdpau-amdgpu-pro/copyright
          /usr/share/doc/libvdpau-amdgpu-pro/changelog.Debian.gz
          /opt
          /opt/amdgpu-pro
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/libvdpau_amdgpu.so.1.0.0
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/libvdpau_amdgpu.so.1.0
          /opt/amdgpu-pro/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/libvdpau_amdgpu.so.1

Comment

Hi, I also have the same issue running the AMDGPU-Pro driver. I have an RX480 (MSI Gaming X, 8GB). I tested a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 with the 16.40 driver, and es2gears segfaults.

Is there some way to make the open source AMDGPU driver with the RX480 "usable"? As far as I can tell it's supposed to be installed by default, but everything was restricted to a single display at 1024x768. I also tried installing xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and libdrm-amdgpu1 via apt-get, but this doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by helloworld922 View Post
              Hi, I also have the same issue running the AMDGPU-Pro driver. I have an RX480 (MSI Gaming X, 8GB). I tested a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 with the 16.40 driver, and es2gears segfaults.

Is there some way to make the open source AMDGPU driver with the RX480 "usable"? As far as I can tell it's supposed to be installed by default, but everything was restricted to a single display at 1024x768. I also tried installing xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and libdrm-amdgpu1 via apt-get, but this doesn't help.
              I believe Ubuntu 16.04 locked down before Polaris support was added to the open source drivers. Should work out of the box with 16.10 though... otherwise with 16.04 I believe you will need to update kernel and add something like the Padoka PPA for newer drivers.
              Test signature

Comment

Thanks, upgrading to 16.10 fixed the issues for me with the open source driver. Unfortunately, I still have the same issues with AMDGPU-Pro using GLES, but at least I have a usable system now.

Comment

Actually Gnome Shell seems to work fine now with Gnome 3.22 and AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 (I'm using the gnome3-staging ppa on 16.10).
                  However everything that uses egl still crashes.

Comment

Hi, I was having this problem this morning with a fresh install of 16.04.2 and amdgpu-pro 17.10 on my bristol ridge apu.

But it looks like the 17.20 release, currently only marked for vega frontier, works on other platforms and fixes this issue. Kodi is running on amdgpu-pro just great finally.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

It somehow works with 17.20. Do not install the 16.04.03 hwe features because it is incompatible.
                      But kodi-nightly vaapi accellerate doesn't work, and vdpau crashes. Kodi 17.3 vaapi has low quality sound(?scratching like), vdpau OK but no acceleration.

with 17.30 amdgpu-pro, kodi crashes on segfault of some Xlib.so.6

With opensource+amdgpu-dc kernel mpvtests i got the same "not-accelerated" results than 17.20:

# DISPLAY=:0 mpv --hwdec=vaapi /hevcds_2160p60_Main10_20M.mp4 -vo vaapi -fs Playing: /hevcds_2160p60_Main10_20M.mp4 (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (hevc 3840x2160 60.000fps) (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=und (*) (aac 2ch 24000Hz) Audio: no audio [ffmpeg] AVHWFramesContext: Failed to create surface: 14 (the requested RT Format is not supported). [ffmpeg] AVHWFramesContext: Unable to allocate a surface from internal buffer pool. Failed to allocate hw frames. Using conversion filter. VO: [vaapi] 3840x2160 yuv420p V: 00:00:00 / 00:02:31 (0%) Dropped: 9 Dropped frames, no 4k acceleration:
                      https://nwgat.ninja/4k60-kodi-media-...-xbuntu-16-04/
                      doesn't seem to work anymore, maybe by ffmpeg updates or i don't know.

can't get my rx480 working correctly with kodi. My old 520GT worked better. Still looking for a viable 4K Hevc10bits decode solution.
                      Also dts-HD passthrough doesn't work with amdgpu-pro.
                      Last edited by lethalwp; 13 October 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X