Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Polaris IDs, Golden Register Settings Added To AMDGPU

Phoronix: More Polaris IDs, Golden Register Settings Added To AMDGPU

Another day, another round of more open-source driver work out of the AMD folks. The latest are some minor Polaris updates for the AMDGPU DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the state of DPM for the Polaris cards?

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
      What is the state of DPM for the Polaris cards?
      Supposed to be in there with the initial code in 4.7.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think i might update my r600 with a polaris gpu at some point after the drivers and features are in place. Was hopping to fully utilize the r600 but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is almost considered legacy

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          I think i might update my r600 with a polaris gpu at some point after the drivers and features are in place. Was hopping to fully utilize the r600 but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is almost considered legacy
          Legacy? There should be still a developer working on it, but as a owner of a laptop with an r600 trinity APU, I don't think it's worth to port new OpenGL features to r600, I tried games with tesselation, and all low settings, low resolution and they are unplayable, low fps. Its better to focus to RadeonSI and Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Are you talking about an actual R600 (HD2900) or a fairly recent part (Evergreen/NI arch) that uses the r600 driver ?

If you are talking about a real R600 I think that has been fully utilized (by the drivers at least) for quite a while now.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you talking about an actual R600 (HD2900) or a fairly recent part (Evergreen/NI arch) that uses the r600 driver ?

If you are talking about a real R600 I think that has been fully utilized (by the drivers at least) for quite a while now.
              Certainly the driver - there are still some APUs that are not even three years old sporting Northern Islands chips, Richland was around ~June 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just curious but do you know why the HD 2900 is stuck at OGL 2.2 support instead of 3.x?

Comment

The patch looks weird. The PCI IDs are not in the correct order.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    The patch looks weird. The PCI IDs are not in the correct order.
                    true.
                    I also don't get why there have to be 10 IDs for essentially one GPU. Are there so many SKUs?
                    I'd understand if Polaris was made for HPC and desktop like Hawaii. There could be one ID for each, FirePro W, FirePro S, Radeon and respectively a PRO and XT (maybe also LE or XTX) version of that. But Polaris seems to be only a "Radeon", so I'd see XT, PRO for both desktop and mobile. That's four, not ten Are there so many variants of the mobile chip, maybe for different vendors? Or maybe there are engineering samples among those IDs? Why do they all have unique IDs at all and can't be seen as the same component?

Comment

Working...
                    X