More Polaris IDs, Golden Register Settings Added To AMDGPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you talking about an actual R600 (HD2900) or a fairly recent part (Evergreen/NI arch) that uses the r600 driver ?

If you are talking about a real R600 I think that has been fully utilized (by the drivers at least) for quite a while now.
    r600 driver. My 6850 to be precise.

Comment

If Polaris 10 is mid-range, and Polaris 11 is low-range, what is the flagship chip called? Polaris 9?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        If Polaris 10 is mid-range, and Polaris 11 is low-range, what is the flagship chip called? Polaris 9?
        No, the numbers won't decrease, that's what Raja Kodouri said. 10 means, it was the first of its generation to be developed and then the number gets increased.
        There won't be any more Polaris chips. Vega 10 and 11 will hit the high end desktop and hpc market

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

No, the numbers won't decrease, that's what Raja Kodouri said. 10 means, it was the first of its generation to be developed and then the number gets increased.
          There won't be any more Polaris chips. Vega 10 and 11 will hit the high end desktop and hpc market
          Thanks. Weirdly, everyone is treating Polaris as the answer to Pascal though.

Comment

Yes, that's a bit of a problem - or might be a problem for AMD's marketing. But they already tried to calm people down, so I don't know where this expectations come from.
            Maybe from shitty "articles" from "experts" like this: http://seekingalpha.com/article/3973...ascal-bomb-amd

Comment

Yep... I thought our marketing folks were pretty clear about Polaris positioning, although I keep reading how it's going to be twice as fast as a Fury X, come with 16GB of HBM2 and cost under $200.

I miss the good old days when people valued critical thinking and researching skills. Now it seems almost everything on the internet is taken at face value. The odd thing is that there is more information available today, the quality is an order of magnitude lower, but there seems to be less thought given to the likely accuracy of the information than ever before.
              Last edited by bridgman; 18 May 2016, 10:21 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

@bridgman

It seems that especially Polaris 11 based cards are good for mass (upgrade) market, that could be a good idea till onboard solutions will be in the same range. But I think the timing for Vega 10 is not optimal as you can expect a new Titan card at that time too. Gamers with enough money just get the fastest cards, but of course Nvidia did not announce a GTX 1050/1060 yet which will be in a similar speed range as Polaris 11. So maybe there are some months to sell em. The rebranded cards have been really too boring before.

Comment

Yep... I thought our marketing folks were pretty clear about Polaris positioning, although I keep reading how it's going to be twice as fast as a Fury X, come with 16GB of HBM2 and cost under $200.

I miss the good old days when people valued critical thinking and researching skills. Now it seems almost everything on the internet is taken at face value. The odd thing is that there is more information available today, the quality is an order of magnitude lower, but there seems to be less thought given to the likely accuracy of the information than ever before.
                  OMG!!!1
                  Polaris is going to come with 16 GiB HBM2, twice as fast as Fury X and for just under 200 USD.
                  I just read it on the internet, so it MUST be true!

sorry it's sad, actually. And what makes it even worse is this doesn't only apply on forum users, interested folks or fans but also on "journalists" hosting websites with quite some influence.

However, I'm looking forward to the launch. P11 might come in handy, when it is available for the desktop and not only notebook from the beginning.
                  Last edited by juno; 18 May 2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Lies. Polaris 10: Can beat Chuck Norris with one hand while burning down Nvidia HQ with the other. For $10.

Comment

bridgman You only have 8 more posts to go to beat Michael for most posts on Phoronix ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X