Trying Out The Experimental AMDGPU OverDrive Overclocking With The R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Experimental AMDGPU OverDrive Overclocking With The R9 Fury

Phoronix: Trying Out The Experimental AMDGPU OverDrive Overclocking With The R9 Fury

Last week AMD published initial open-source OverDrive GPU overclocking support for their AMDGPU kernel driver, eight years after Catalyst on Linux got OverDrive support. This feature won't be mainlined until the Linux 4.8 kernel but allows for basic overclocking of the GPU core on Tonga / Fiji / Polaris hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With the playing around I've done with the AMDGPU OD code on an R9 Fury (Fiji) graphics card, it's worked out without any major issues.
    Only because compiling a custom kernel (to enable non-mainline features) is no major issue for you

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Only because compiling a custom kernel (to enable non-mainline features) is no major issue for you
      I've made the kernel available for others to try too.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Compiling the Kernel is much much easier that compile some userspace applications.

Comment

i've never manged to

Comment

The OC results nicely show CPU limits - if the GPU is faster and there is no improvement. Basically those results should be tested again with OC CPUs...

Comment

Michael, the three OB summary options seem broken (aggregate, harmonic, geometric). I ticked all three plus normalize, to see how the sum related to 8%, but none of the three sums show up.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Michael, the three OB summary options seem broken (aggregate, harmonic, geometric). I ticked all three plus normalize, to see how the sum related to 8%, but none of the three sums show up.
                Yes since the OB redesign those 3 options I have yet to rewrite for the new APIs
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  The OC results nicely show CPU limits - if the GPU is faster and there is no improvement. Basically those results should be tested again with OC CPUs...
                  I'm looking at the results and the OC results are all faster, in most cases the OC results are just under 8% faster than the normal results. As there was an 8% OC on the GPU this scaling is pretty good and indicates the original results were GPU limited rather than CPU limited?

Comment

Look at the link with ALL results.

Comment

Working...
                    X