AMD Unleashes Initial AMDGPU Driver Support For GCN 1.0 / Southern Islands GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
    amdgpu seems to be getting support for all the cards currently supported by radeonsi. Doesn't that mean that eventually, radeonsi will disappear?
    radeonsi is the hardware specific mesa driver (for OpenGL). amdgpu on the other side is the kernel/drm driver. Those amdgpu-supported cards are also using radeonsi.
    The alternative (and at this time official) kernel driver for GCN Gen.1&2 (SI&CIK) is radeon. This also supports older cards like nothern islands and evergreen, so it won't just dissapear either

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
      radeonsi is the hardware specific mesa driver (for OpenGL). amdgpu on the other side is the kernel/drm driver. Those amdgpu-supported cards are also using radeonsi.
      Right. Whether you use the radeon kernel driver (currently recommended for SI and CI) or the amdgpu kernel driver, the open source stack uses the same radeonsi Gallium3D driver for GL, CL and video decode/encode.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Right. Whether you use the radeon kernel driver (currently recommended for SI and CI) or the amdgpu kernel driver, the open source stack uses the same radeonsi Gallium3D driver for GL, CL and video decode/encode.
        I wonder how many times a week you need to repeat this.

Comment

Thanks juno & bridgman for the clarification. I got confused with all those names .

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            - amdgpu fails to correctly render Shadow of Mordor on R9 390
            Hm, wouldn't think that there is a significant difference, since they both use radeonsi?
            - amdgpu (in Linux 4.6.0) isn't providing /sys/kernel/debug/dri/... files
            Code:
            root@orionis:~ $ ls -1 /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0
            amdgpu_fence_info
            amdgpu_gem_info
            amdgpu_gtt
            amdgpu_gtt_mm
            amdgpu_pm_info
            amdgpu_regs
            amdgpu_ring_cp1
            amdgpu_ring_cp2
            amdgpu_ring_dma1
            amdgpu_ring_dma2
            amdgpu_ring_gfx
            amdgpu_ring_uvd
            amdgpu_ring_vce1
            amdgpu_ring_vce2
            amdgpu_sa_info
            amdgpu_vram
            amdgpu_vram_mm
            bufs
            clients
            DP-1
            DVI-D-1
            gem_names
            HDMI-A-1
            name
            ttm_page_pool
            VGA-1
            vm
            vma
            But yeah, that's on 4.5.4, not 4.6.0. And a lot of them are empty, no idea if they shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Now if only the kernel driver was called radeonsi and you could just say GCN->radeonsi without any confusions on kernel and userspace

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Now if only the kernel driver was called radeonsi and you could just say GCN->radeonsi without any confusions on kernel and userspace
                Yeah, that's the funny part... if/when it takes over SI/CI upstream support from radeon then we really could call it radeonsi. In the past that would have been more confusing than the current naming.

That said, if we're going to do anything with names I want to start seeing fully qualified names, eg putting a 'k' in for kernel drivers, 'x' in for DDX's, 'p' for gallium3d pipe drivers and 'w' for gallium3d winsys. Maybe even 'l' for libdrm
                Last edited by bridgman; 18 May 2016, 10:18 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  As expected, without mesa/libdrm e.g. "DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo" doesn't work. The message is funny though:
                  Code:
                  [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]amdgpu: amdgpu_device_initialize failed. [/COLOR]
                  do_winsys_init: DRM version is 3.2.0 but this driver is only compatible with 2.12.0 (kernel 3.2) or later.[/FONT]
                  Should probably revise the "or later" part a bit.

I guess that's what's meant with "basic OpenGL".
                  Makes me hopeful that it will already just work with DRI_PRIME though.
                  Looks like the required changes for mesa and libdrm are coming:
                  SI support for amdgpu winsys: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko...g/?h=amdgpu-si
                  SI support for amdgpu in libdrm: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko...g/?h=amdgpu-si
                  SI support for xf86-video-amdgpu: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko...g/?h=amdgpu-si

It's not ready for use though, when trying to render something, it just hangs before doing anything. I think that's what mareko is debugging at the moment, based on the commit https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko...0bc4d6e21ccdd1

As strace shows:
                  Code:
                  [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]write(1, "before backend init\n", 20before backend init [/COLOR]
                  )   = 20
                  ioctl(6, DRM_IOCTL_VIA_ALLOCMEM, 0x7ffdefb4b2f0) = 0
                  ioctl(6, _IOC(_IOC_READ|_IOC_WRITE, 0x64, 0x48, 0x28), 0x7ffdefb4b2f0) = 0
                  ioctl(6, DRM_IOCTL_TEGRA_GEM_MMAP, 0x7ffdefb4b400) = 0
                  mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 6, 0x100111000) = 0x7fd08c415000
                  ioctl(6, _IOC(_IOC_READ|_IOC_WRITE, 0x64, 0x43, 0x18), 0x7ffdefb4b340) = 0
                  ioctl(6, _IOC(_IOC_READ|_IOC_WRITE, 0x64, 0x44, 0x18), 0x7ffdefb4b320) = 0
                  ioctl(6, _IOC(_IOC_READ|_IOC_WRITE, 0x64, 0x43, 0x18), 0x7ffdefb4b370) = 0
                  ioctl(6, _IOC(_IOC_READ|_IOC_WRITE, 0x64, 0x49, 0x20)[/FONT]
                  A real problem is that intel graphics isn't stable on drm-next-4.8-wip, so even if SI on amdgpu were to work fine right now, I couldn't use it. It just randomly freezes the whole machine with nothing in the logs. It's also easily triggered by starting warcraft 3 in wine.
                  Last edited by haagch; 19 May 2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    What if you disable intel graphics via pci api at boot.
                    I've just reinstalled Debian on my Sony VAIO laptop, and my dmesg and virtual consoles all get spammed with the same messages over and over again. [ 59.662381] hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB
                    Then I see nothing, because the radeon GPU is physically not connected to the display.

Comment

Then you could say to the system that let us play all the time. In windows you have some check box for that.
                      Wat.

I would not expect miracles from initial prototype driver in the case of switching mixed graphics. See the source code if amd has even tried that.
                      I actually expect that it works better, because (with dri3) there is no ddx involved. Just render nodes is all that is needed and it's already exposed as /dev/dri/renderD129.

Comment

Working...
                      X