Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calexil View Post

poor bridgman , always stuck in moderation queue... ^^

all this right after I sold my r9 270 and got an r9 380x for amdgpu support....lol

my luck...

​also, bridgman any news on a patch to the amdgpu-pro beta to make Feral games work... I can't get them to launch at all....:/
    Well to be fair, he's obviously a pro-amd troll. Always talking about all of the awesome things amd is doing and stuff. /s

Comment

"Open source solution is not so stable, many Opengl games do not work because of older opengl version."

I've yet to find one that failed to work due to opengl version. Heck, they have 4.3 now and most of 4.4 and 4.5. Unless you're using a distro with a fixed release cycle with horribly outdated packages, I guess that could be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It's not being held back - the kernel drivers are shipped in source code form. We can't push it upstream until there is an open source driver that uses it though.
        I'll be really interested to see how you handle the switch from radeon to amdgpu considering the userspace part needs to be reasonably in sync. I hope you do manage to pull it off though, this seems like a good thing to me

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There will not be any AMDGPU support for pre-GCN GPUs.
          So, and even though the community has done a crazy work getting to something more or less usable, r600g will remain a stripped down and unstable version of fglrx which in turn is no longer supported?

Shame, gaming on hybrid muxless systems is a random and frustrating experience with open drivers... Makes you love the blobs.

Comment

r600g actually received many features right after radeonsi, for example tesselation: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ellation-Lands

And I don't see how r600g is any more unstable than the other drivers, care to explain?

Comment

It's looking like that experimental support for "Southern Islands" graphics cards may soon be published.
              So it will likely be a long road before GCN 1.0/1.1 hardware sees AMDGPU support out-of-the-box...
              Cool. (And yes, I have noticed the difference.)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                It's not being held back - the kernel drivers are shipped in source code form. We can't push it upstream until there is an open source driver that uses it though.
                I mean xf86-video-amdgpu and libdrm. I had a quick look at the header files some time ago and it appears there are some additions to the ddx and libdrm (e.g. the function to get the "marketing name" and some stuff related to fences). but there is no source code for them, and the binary ddx will only work on xorg 1.15 or so...

As for the kernel, I meant like the WIP branches in a developer's fork like https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/....7-wip-polaris that is kept up to date with upstream kernel development.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  So, and even though the community has done a crazy work getting to something more or less usable, r600g will remain a stripped down and unstable version of fglrx which in turn is no longer supported?

Shame, gaming on hybrid muxless systems is a random and frustrating experience with open drivers... Makes you love the blobs.
                  I have a muxless laptop that uses R600 and have quite the opposite experience. fglrx was horrible and forced my dGPU to either always be used, or not at all. And majority of the time I couldn't even boot my system to X.

I have no such problems with the open-source graphics stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Care to elaborate?
                    I game on an muxless system just fine and it has both r600 and radeonsi hardware.
                    I don't miss the blob.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Well to be fair, he's obviously a pro-amd troll. Always talking about all of the awesome things amd is doing and stuff. /s
                      Ahahah, in case you haven't noticed, he is from AMD!
                      And actually he's not trolling at all, in fact he gives insights about driver and hardware development.

Comment

Working...
                      X