Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Soon Might Have Out AMDGPU Support For The Original GCN GPUs

Phoronix: AMD Soon Might Have Out AMDGPU Support For The Original GCN GPUs

One of the recurring questions we see time and time again within our forums is about AMDGPU driver support for older GPUs, namely the GCN 1.0 hardware. It's looking like that experimental support for "Southern Islands" graphics cards may soon be published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Turns out my FirePro W7000 was a good decision after all

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: AMD Soon Might Have Out AMDGPU Support For The Original GCN GPUs

One of the recurring questions we see time and time again within our forums is about AMDGPU driver support for older GPUs, namely the GCN 1.0 hardware. It's looking like that experimental support for "Southern Islands" graphics cards may soon be published...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...oon-Get-AMDGPU
      Not just about airlied. If he didn't block major last-minute changes, Linus would and he gets irritated when he needs to micromanage pull requests

Comment

Doesn't matter, if it's mainline or not. As long as it's included in the proprietary installer, GCN 1.0 will be usable without a recent kernel. For pure open source users, there is probably not much advantage in switching the kernel driver at the moment, since there is no open source Vulkan anyway (let alone Vulkan software).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Doesn't matter, if it's mainline or not. As long as it's included in the proprietary installer, GCN 1.0 will be usable without a recent kernel. For pure open source users, there is probably not much advantage in switching the kernel driver at the moment, since there is no open source Vulkan anyway (let alone Vulkan software).
          Interesting. Actually, I am a bit lost at this point. How about the AMDGPU hybrid that is supposed to be pushed to Ubuntu 16.06 later on? I mean, the one that will replace the legacy fglrx. Is this related at all? Thanks!
          Last edited by mendieta; 09 May 2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I for one don't want a proprietary installer. I want separate branches for the kernel, libdrm and xf86-video-amdgpu on freedesktop.org that are rebased on master every so often, so that only the actual proprietary opengl and vulkan driver need to be installed from binaries.

Why is the source code for the open source components being held back anyway? As I understand it there are not that many changes, just a couple of additions for synchronization and stuff like that.
            Last edited by haagch; 09 May 2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              Why is the source code for the open source components being held back anyway? As I understand it there are not that many changes, just a couple of additions for synchronization and stuff like that.
              It's not being held back - the kernel drivers are shipped in source code form. We can't push it upstream until there is an open source driver that uses it though.
              Test signature

Comment

Bah, "unapproved" again
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Bah, "unapproved" again

poor bridgman , always stuck in moderation queue... ^^

all this right after I sold my r9 270 and got an r9 380x for amdgpu support....lol

my luck...

​also, bridgman any news on a patch to the amdgpu-pro beta to make Feral games work... I can't get them to launch at all....:/

Comment

Good work AMD!

Comment

Working...
                    X