Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R9 270X garbled HDMI Audio

Hi,
    I currently have a Radeon R9 270X with bad HDMI audio. When I'm using ALSA hw-output the sound is garbled and choppy. When using PulseAudio or ALSA dmix the sound seems fine, but I can hear some garbled audio after playing music while using dmix. I've noticed that this is an issue with some other Radeon cards too.

So, I, wonder; Will this be fixed when the AMD DAL is released? I read in this thread that at least for TONGA the DAL is needed for working HDMI-audio.

I know the DAL is for amdgpu. My understanding is that the amdgpu driver will support every card with gcn, including Southern Islands, after a while.

In my current setup I use my machine as a media center pc, so I need HDMI-audio to work. I'll have to do some research for a workaround as I doubt my audio problems is high priority

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Pulseaudio is crap and famous of corrupting everything..
      You might want to check a calendar, it is no longer 2006. Pulseaudio has matured a lot in the last **DECADE**, and while it may have been a hairy and unpredictable experience WAY BACK THEN, it is very solid now. The only people who complain about it now are people who had a brief tough time ten years ago and are too stuck up to move on.

Comment

Most problems with Pulseaudio only exist if you use the alsa wrapper instead of the native pulse outputs. Some games ship an outdated openal lib you have to replace with a symlink to a new one (because of private naming scheme deleting is not enough). For media players select correct output - sometimes you have to install an extra package like for VLC on Debian. But PA noobs always complain...

PS: Get rid of any asoundrc overrides!
        Last edited by Kano; 06 May 2016, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I feel like this thread has been turned into a ALSA vs Pulse Audio discussion. My reason for choosing ALSA was that Pulse Audio did not support bit streaming of HD Audio formats. I don't know if it does now, but that's a feature I need.

As for my primary question, if anybody knows; Will the Radeon R9 270X audio driver work as intended when DAL is merged to the kernel? (I may also have misunderstood the function of the DAL.) As I've written previously, as far as I've understood the amdgpu driver will work for Southern Islands. As I have seen some AMD-developers around here, I thought I could ask here

Comment

I feel like this thread has become a Alsa vs Pulse Audio discussion. My reason for using alsa is that it does support bitstreaming of hd audio. When gaming, this is not necessary, but I do like to get the best sound when watching movies. As far as I know, Pulse audio does not support bitstreaming of hd audio.

As I've seen some AMD developers on this forum, I thought I could ask if DAL is going to fix the audio problems I'm experiencing with my Radeon card. The problem is that the audio is garbled when I'm using the alsa hdmi-plugin or using the hw directly. With dmix the audio works in stereo, but is garbled when I set channels to 6 or 8 in the configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by hjahre View Post
              My understanding is that the amdgpu driver will support every card with gcn, including Southern Islands, after a while.
              As far I've read, it's only a possibility not a definitive outcome.
              (I have some GCN 1.0 as well, so like you I'd like that).

Comment

@hjahre

You can only use stereo with PCM, for more channels you need an AC3 plugin. Are you really sure you used that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @hjahre

You can only use stereo with PCM, for more channels you need an AC3 plugin. Are you really sure you used that?

No, I haven't set it up. I thought that an audiio file in stereo would map to stereo even if the output is configured to use additional channels

Comment

Originally posted by hjahre View Post
                    Hi,
                    I currently have a Radeon R9 270X with bad HDMI audio. When I'm using ALSA hw-output the sound is garbled and choppy. When using PulseAudio or ALSA dmix the sound seems fine, but I can hear some garbled audio after playing music while using dmix. I've noticed that this is an issue with some other Radeon cards too.

So, I, wonder; Will this be fixed when the AMD DAL is released? I read in this thread that at least for TONGA the DAL is needed for working HDMI-audio.

There is a kernel bug report for this issue (and a patch posted in LKML).

Comment

Working...
                    X