Developers Still Hoping For AMD DAL Support In Linux 4.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I did notice with TR2013 that amdgpu renders with better image quality than crimson. Maybe that is the root of notebook heating problem, in other words with crimson you have gpu partially used. In the benchmark I have even black reflections with crimson. Use Xfce desktop, a custom kernel, configure the kernel (backlight and other options there) and use amdgpu kernel command line options to solve other problems. Also use amdgpu- pro, that speeds up opengl.
    I'm not gaming at all with my notebook, just plain 2D. The heating problem, in my opinion, is related to power management issues and secondary card management issues. I enabled powerplay components in my custom kernel, set the proper kernel parameter flag to enable them, and still the fan is spinning up very often. Tried to disable the secondary card via vga_switcheroo with no luck. Also UVD is not working: radeonsi VDPAU driver doesn't work at all, vdpauinfo terminates with error 23, if I remember correctly.
    Maybe 2D/3D performance are good, I didn't even tested them: power management issues, the on/off cycling during DPMS OFF and the general instability are absolutely basic requirements for me, so I reverted back to catalysts to have a stable system.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I see a lot of "kill off x/y/z" commits in the log there, any many of them are by airlied/glisse. Looks like pretty good progress to me.
      I agree, I think it looks great. It really look like the more seasoned Linux-devs are digging in their heels and really giving it a go! I love it, hope AMD continues in this fashion.

Comment

What desktop did use with catalyst and with amdgpu. Gpu and cpu warms if it is used. You might have a hard drive that generates heat too. Sure your notebook has hardware or bios level overheating protection, it will shut down when it is too hot. Also you can buy products like this:
        http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-US...h-p-47807.html
        i've tested xfce, cinnamon and gnome shell with both driver (crimson and amdgpu, all DE has higher temperature with open driver)

Comment

I don't get why this code cannot simply go into staging, unless it's not split into logical patch series. It's the perfect place for sub-par quality stuff, and from then maintenance should be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            I may be mistaken, but didn't even the devs state that this code was not ripped from fglrx/Cat./Crimson/whatever?
            yes, bridgman said that. he said it is new

Comment

things are also going the other way : https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/104775.html

Those guys are commited to OSS big time

Comment

User Vein did show dmesg output where amdgpu inits two pci gpu devices in a carrizo laptop. If you can not disable other gpu from bios, then you could try to disable unneeded gpu via pci:
                http://superuser.com/questions/54185...device-at-boot
                You can't be sure that a disabled device is also turned off. The device should be disabled using "official" ways to be sure its power consumption is near to zero, otherwise you still have higher temperature, battery drain and spinning fans. Nonetheless the trick worths a try.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                  The most annoying behavior is the screen backlight continously going off and on when the screen is in off mode
                  i've the same problem with amdgpu driver.
                  when the screen is off (for example because the pc is inactive from some minutes), the black screen start blink (off and on, but when is on, is black, but is a backlit black).
                  hope that this problem will be solved.
                  i think that amd must release another crimson release with xorg 1.18 support, while work on amdgpu stability, we can't be betatester, i've bought an amd notebook giving trust to amd, but now i want a better hardware support, better driver stability and better driver performance.
                  but i'm worried that these improvments will be only for the future zen and polaris APU/GPU, and my new carrizo apu and my new radeon r7 m360 will be abandonated from AMD.
                  (this is an hardware launched less than 1 years ago)

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

I only got sad performance from AMDGPU driver with my carrizo laptop (the same apu + gpu configurations of yours).
                    I tested kernels 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6rc5. Using the latest 4.6 kernel, aside from 2d/3d performance, when I disable the discrete gpu using vga_switcheroo I get kernel panics at shutdown/reboot.
                    You should not even try to use vga_switcheroo with current laptops anymore. When your laptop starts, the discrete GPU should be off, completely. It consumes 0.0 watts. If it's not, that's a bug. The higher temperatures and power consumption might be due to glamor.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

You should not even try to use vga_switcheroo with current laptops anymore. When your laptop starts, the discrete GPU should be off, completely. It consumes 0.0 watts. If it's not, that's a bug. The higher temperatures and power consumption might be due to glamor.
                      Thanks for the hint.
                      This forum thread: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...untu-16-04-lts looks interesting, in particular at page 8 I found the suggestion to use amdgpu.runpm=0 kernel parameter to disable the discrete card completely. I will try when I'll be in the right mood to test the new kernel again.

Comment

Working...
                      X