Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU PowerPlay problem with R7 + R9 380

Hello,

I have A10 7850K + R9 380 and if both discrete and integrated GPUs are enabled X server in Ubuntu (15.10 + kernel 4.5 prepared by Michael and 16.04 with default kernel 4.4) doesn't work. It looks like this issue appears only when PowerPlay for AMDGPU is enabled. When I disabled IGP in BIOS all works fine. I'll try to blacklist Radeon driver and use AMDGPU for R7 from Kaveri, however maybe someone had similar problem and already solved it?

Cheers,
    Patryk

I have just one monitor, so it shouldn't be a problem related to DAL, without powerplay (eg. older kernels) system starts fine.

bridgman
    "When you say "doesn't work" what are the actual symptoms ?"
    On 16.04 X server doesn't run, after boot phase I just see standard console and system ask me for login (I don't have any logs). On 15.04 system freeze at boot phase and hard reset was the only solution, IIRC there was an info in X logs that PowerPlay doesn't work for Kaveri, when I removed 'amdgpu.powerplay=1' entry from grub all works fine except of course DPM for Radeon 380...

Comment

I need 2 active GPUs for some tasks related to programming (I prefer to write code on Linux than on Windows). Why I use Gnome Ubuntu?
      - easy way to update Mesa drivers
      - relative good Gnome integration (this is the best DE for me)

Most of the time I use this PC for programming (only sometimes I play games on this PC), thats why I don't want to install next OS just for testing on this PC. If Gnome integration is good in the Debian Testing and the latest mesa updates (upstream version like Padoka PPA) are available in a easy way on Debian Testing I would switch, however I think that those two things may be little problematic on Debian testing. I only use Ubuntu based distros since version 4.10 (I shortly used Fedora Core 5) and most of the time this distribution works fine for me, however I think about switch to Fedora 24 in future (better Gnome integration).

Comment

Closed source drivers always performed better and free drivers have never been obsolete. As long as there are users preferring foss and enough devs to maintain the mesa drivers, it obviously won't become obsolete.

Comment

Closed source drivers always performed better and free drivers have never been obsolete. As long as there are users preferring foss and enough devs to maintain the mesa drivers, it obviously won't become obsolete.

Comment

With kernel 4.6-rc5 (CIK enabled) and blacklisted radeon driver all works fine, even DRI_PRIME works for both R7 and R9 380 GPUs. AFAIK with 4.6 I don't need to pass amdgpu.powerplay=1 anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X