Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R9 270X, is there any hope for AMDGPU support in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say i like how there is care about releases in enterprise proprietary world, while in opensource princess is always in another castle

Comment

It's a shame you like it, because it isn't true (at least not in the way you are implying).

In a formal corporate world where "always on time" is expected you usually see significant under-committing (at least relative to what is *possible* rather than what is high confidence) and many times "probably but I'm not sure" becomes "no".

In the open source world we tell you what we know; sometimes things are better (UVD and VCE support), sometimes things are worse (power management took considerably longer than I expected), and generally things work out within the expected range of outcomes.
      Test signature

Comment

If i remember right you said previously in post before this to not upgrade distro, because driver for 1.0 asics and CL2 is not ready - that is fine to say isn't it. Similarly was for Windows 10 at least in first 6 or so months AFAIR, AMD didn't recommended upgrade for certain pro users and they made a list of known issues and what isn't supported.

So for opensource i would believe you, if you say also... for example - OK we know about bugs so do not use llvm 3.9 and also kernel 4.7 because it is borked for GCN 1.1 users That would mean you are aware about state of it and say it just like you say it for blob, but no because devs does not always has all hardware to test on you recommend it still for everybody. So do you see how that goes here as in opensource usually recommend upgrade for all, but in reality it is not recommended to do so also for some users too... they would see obvious bugs there, isn'it it.

And now imagine I or anyone and some other people in community shutup on this for month instead of yielding about this, it would be certainly more borked...

In the open source world we tell you what we know
        In propertiary world they tell you that too, to any user with changelog - so with any release you have list of fixed bugs, new supported apps, but also list (and now read this!) of known issues yet unresolved.

Reading these changelogs also mean for many users to no need to upgrade to certain driver. So in opensource that happens too, but still everybody recommends either releases or even better all git... even when princess is nowhere there

Comment

Video is actually working on AMDGPU with my R9 270X. Mouse isn't working.

However, I didn't remove xf86-video-ati (some users say it's necessary) and I just realized I'm not using Mesa from Mareko, maybe that's the issue bridgman? I can't compile Mesa from Mareko for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
            Video is actually working on AMDGPU with my R9 270X. Mouse isn't working.
            Wondering does SWcursor works there? Sounds better then nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Wondering does SWcursor works there? Sounds better then nothing.
              LOL :P We'll see. It'll try it in a few moments.

Comment

Didn't work. I'll try XFCE with Lightdm instead of Plasma and SDDM.

Comment

CSGO crashed. Going to tty2 (to kill it) I could see "GPU Fault" messages.
                  X-Plane opened and loaded, but my computer crashed/rebooted 1 second after loading the game.

I don't know if Mareko's Mesa is a hard requirement right now. If someone could build his packages for Arch Linux, please do. That's the only package I can't compile right now.

Comment

DanielPower Since you use Arch, you can already try your R9 270X with AMDGPU. I got it all working here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...444#post894444

Comment

6 months later...

Comment

Working...
                      X