Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R9 270X, is there any hope for AMDGPU support in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanielPower View Post
    As I said above, Divinity is the only game I cannot play on the Open Source drivers. You're correct that it only requires OpenGL 4.2, and that Mesa RadeonSI now supports OpenGL 4.3. But according to a bug report that was posted in another thread, Divinity does some sort of invalid OpenGL API call that works on the proprietary driver, but crashes the open source driver, despite OpenGL 4.3 support being in place.
    AFAIK the game runs different code depending on whether or not it detects Catalyst - unfortunately when you run on Mesa the logic goes "it's not Catalyst so it must be NVidia" and runs the NVidia-specific code paths without checking to see if extensions are supported.

My impression is that one of the two problems would disappear if the game simply ran Catalyst code paths instead of NVidia code paths when it detected Mesa (or when it detected a non-NVidia driver).
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      My impression is that one of the two problems would disappear if the game simply ran Catalyst code paths instead of NVidia code paths when it detected Mesa (or when it detected a non-NVidia driver).
      If that's the case, would it be possible to make Mesa appear to be Catalyst similarly to changing a User Agent string in a web browser? I suppose the answer depends on whether Divinity simply checks a driver name string, or whether it does some sort of deeper test to check what driver is running.

Comment

... Work is being done to add SI support (7750/70, 7850/70, 7950/70, R9 270/X, R9 280/X).
        You forgot all the Olands and the R7 250E (Cape Verde) as well as R7 370/R9 370X again :-( Maybe stuck in the moderation queue?

Comment

AFAIK the game runs different code depending on whether or not it detects Catalyst - unfortunately when you run on Mesa the logic goes "it's not Catalyst so it must be NVidia" and runs the NVidia-specific code paths without checking to see if extensions are supported.

Might be locally workaroundable by making Mesa lie that it's Catalyst

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            You forgot all the Olands and the R7 250E (Cape Verde) as well as R7 370/R9 370X again :-( Maybe stuck in the moderation queue?
            Yeah, I had a bad feeling that I was missing a pile of marketing names. IIRC the initial testing has been done on Cape Verde and Pitcairn GPUs.
            Test signature

Comment

It's been 4 months, still no 270x support. What the hell, guys?

Comment

Do you even read Phoronix? Support is already falling into place, with the Mesa part already landed in git. And besides, I never saw AMD commit to any timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  And besides, I never saw AMD commit to any timeline.
                  Timeline only with real customers, enterprises it seems - Windows this, RHEL this, Ubuntu that

Doctor Nick

Use radeon or Catalyst while you waiting - i guess that does not hurt much... I always has one Debian Stable and one Sid partition for situations like this... one for trying new things and another boring and unbreakable So i use Catalyst Pro driver on stable currently with my GCN 1.1 hardware patched up to 4.8 kernel and it works fine

Comment

That because i recognise that new hardware like Polaris is priority currently and that for the good reason because those don't have any other option

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      Do you even read Phoronix? Support is already falling into place, with the Mesa part already landed in git. And besides, I never saw AMD commit to any timeline.
                      Right. We did say that we were hoping to have SI support in place for the 14.04.4 / 15.10 EOL milestone in August, but that we weren't at all sure we would be able to be ready in time.

In the meantime we recommended that anyone requiring OpenCL stay with a then-current 14.04 version and fglrx, ie not move to 16.04 or 14.04.5 until SI support was in place.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X