notebook A10 carrizo high temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    that is the amdgpu-pro that is beta version. I use amdgpu-rpro without dkms and 32-bit libs.
    there are any news about a date of release of AMDGPU also for carrizo and other GCN GPU?

What I have seen amd have not do much for carrizo, because polaris is coming.
    so i will not receive improvments for carrizo?

EDIT: r7 m360 is gcn 1.1?? i haven't found nothing what is his codename? lspci tell me that is topaz (but i'm not sure)
    Code:
    04:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360] (rev 81)
    Last edited by Dea1993; 30 April 2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

but i'm not sure that r7 m360 is topaz

Comment

Call it amdgpu-pro hybrid driver. First official final release is when Polaris available in mid 2016.
        good so maybe this summer will be available for all GCN?

but are you sure that r7 m360 is topaz and not oland?

Comment

Call it amdgpu-pro hybrid driver. First official final release is when Polaris available in mid 2016.
          good so maybe this year amdgpu-pro will be released for all GCN? or only for the currently supported GPU?

yes but are you sure that r7 m360 is topaz and not oland?

Comment

good so maybe this year amdgpu-pro will be released for all GCN? or only for the currently supported GPU?

Comment

Topaz is cgn 1.2, see:

Comment

It seems that you can not use Google by your self. Maybe it is time to learn.
                sorry, i know how to use google, but i've found conflicting information

so i had dubt about the architecture of this GPU

Comment

But in amdgpu_drv.c you see that Oland is not supported by amdgpu. Note that crossfire is not implement in amdgpu, so you can try to disable the other gpu via pci.
                  http://superuser.com/questions/54185...device-at-boot
                  i've tried this command to see the status of DGPU, and i've seen that DGPU is powered
                  Code:
                  sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
                  [
                  Code:
                  0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:01.0
                  1:DIS: :Pwr:0000:04:00.0
                  after give this command
                  Code:
                  sudo echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
                  DGPU turn OFF
                  Code:
                  1:DIS: :Off:0000:04:00.0
                  temperatures seem better now (with kernel 4.6RC5), i'll test more also stressing PC, now with firefox open, temperatures is 42/51° (better than catalyst/crimson, and a lot better than windows 10).

EDIT: i've launched glxgears for some minutes.
                  temperature after a while, reach 63/64° then CPU fan increase a bit RPM, and temperatures start decreasing (~55°)

now i'll try to follow your link.
                  thanks
                  Last edited by Dea1993; 02 May 2016, 05:28 AM.

Comment

But in amdgpu_drv.c you see that Oland is not supported by amdgpu. Note that crossfire is not implement in amdgpu, so you can try to disable the other gpu via pci.
                    I've just reinstalled Debian on my Sony VAIO laptop, and my dmesg and virtual consoles all get spammed with the same messages over and over again. [ 59.662381] hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB
                    i've found using lspci -vv that dgpu is using amdgpu driver, and his ID is 04:00.0
                    Code:
                    04:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
                        DeviceName: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M260
                        !!! Unknown header type 7f
                        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
                        Kernel modules: amdgpu
                    so following your link, i've tried give this command
                    Code:
                    sudo echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:04\:00.0/remove
                    and i've received this output
                    Code:
                    killed
                    so now i must add this rule to /etc/udev/rules.d?
                    Code:

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="0000\:04\:00.0", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:04\:00.0/remove'"

Comment

i've found another source that tell that r7 m360 is oland (GCN 1.0, so not currently supported by AMDGPU)
                      http://anandtech.com/show/9236/amd-a...ok-video-cards
                      so i don't know why lspci see that this gpu is Topaz, now i don't know if this is really Topaz or if it is Oland (lspci -vv tell me also that dedicated gpu is using AMDGPU kernel driver)

i've upodated kernel to version 4.6 RC6 lowlatency, now i'm using powersave governor, and i'm using firefox form a lot of minutes, temperatures still around 40° (very good), with ondemand governor using firefox, temparatures seems not high, vary from 40 to 60 (but reach 60/60+ only for some seconds), now i'm using ondemand governor and temperature vary from 42° to ~55° (or little more, but isn't a problem if cpu reach 60/65 for some seconds, also windows reach 65° on IDLE).
                      seems a very good results.
                      i'll keep you up to date about temperatures

EDIT: now with this command
                      Code:
                      sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
                      i receive this output, and i can't change the status of DGPU
                      Code:
                      1:DIS: :DynOff:0000:04:00.0
                      i've searched info about DynOff status, but i haven't understand what is the mean, i think that is Dinamically powered (so is off when i not use and on when i use it), so in this way, if i don't force the use of the DGPU using PRIME=1, the DGPU power consume is zero??

EDIT 2: i don't know if this can be useful, i'm using this parameter on /etc/default/grub
                      Code:
                      quiet splash i8042.dumbkbd amdgpu.powerplay=1 amdgpu.sched_jobs=64
                      Last edited by Dea1993; 02 May 2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X