notebook A10 carrizo high temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notebook A10 carrizo high temperature

hi, i'm using open source driver (AMDGPU) on my notebook after some months of catalyst.
    this is my notebook:
    CPU: A10 8700p
    GPU: radeon r6 carrizo + radeon r7 m360.

i've a problem with temperature.
    with catalyst notebook reach max 55° in full load, insteam opensource driver reach also 65-70° also if the notebook isn't under strain.

i don't know how to solve the problem.
    i prefer use open source driver, but the temperatures are too high

this is an output of sensors (now the temperature is perfect

Code:
    [andrea@archer ~]$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1:        +45.0°C  (crit = +255.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:        +43.8°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                           (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +99.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
    power1:       32.16 mW (crit =  15.00 W)

amdgpu-pci-0008
    temp1:         +0.0°C  (crit =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)

[andrea@archer ~]$
    but sometimes the tempeature grow for no reason.

can you please help me?

i'm using archlinux 64bit with linux kernel 4.5
    Code:
    xf86-video-ati
    xf86-video-amdgpu
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CARRIZO (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Carrizo (rev c5)
    i've also tried linux kernel 4.6RC3, but i've always high temperature (worse than kernel 4.5).

how can i solve?
    i've also tried installing vgaswitcheroo from AUR

Code:
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:01.0
    1:DIS: :DynOff:0000:04:00.0
    i've also tried installing
    acpi_call-git-dkms
    from aur and give this command
    Code:
    sudo turn_off_gpu.sh
    but don't fix the problem.

please help me, i don't want use catalyst until AMD don't update it

thanks to all

You're screwed for now. Mine r7 m260 doesn't turn off either (amdgpu.runpm=0). I don't think working PowerPlay support for the mobile parts is any priority before support for the desktop parts is finished. Your best bet is to turn it off with Catalyst and hang on with the iGPU. You got at least semi-decent one comparing to my Intel HD4400 which could be considered a proper downgrade from the dGPU. Don't upgrade your kernel or X.

If you play Source games like Team Fortress 2 and they run terribly try entering gl_finish=1 to the development console. That should turn unplayable gameplay to barely playable.
    Last edited by blindfrog; 28 April 2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

setting cpu on POWERSAVE solve the problem, but isn't normal.
      with catalyst driver also on PERFORMANCE profile,, temperature reach max 55°.

is due to APU A10 8700p or dedicated r7 m360?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Why you use both gpus? I would disable slower in bios, if possible. Amdgpu driver is not crimson, some parts are better, other worse. If a problem is solved other way, let it be and let the amdgpu driver to develop, it develops fast and every release fixes something.
        i cant' disable dedicated gpu form bios, there ins't any option.

i've stressed more the pc and also with powersave governor, temperatures reach 60+°

Comment

Use kernel 4.6-rc5 from kernel.org, because amdgpu driver is fixed all the time. In a custom kernel you can set default values for Power Management and ACPI functions, CPU frequency scaling, Cpu idle and Generig thermal sysfs driver. Remove also unneeded drivers and modules, google for more information about creating a custom linux kernel.
          i've just installer linux 4.6rc5, but don't solve the problem

Comment

Maybe the kernel is tuned for a desktop, Configure Power Management and ACPI functions, CPU frequency scaling, Cpu idle and Generig thermal sysfs driver.
            mmm sorry, so what i must do?

Comment

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...h_Build_System
              Based on above info, use command make xconfig in the linux source directory and configure the kernel to your liking. Remove unneeded drivers and modules to speed up compiling and use. dmesg shows what hardware you are currently using.
              now i'm testing ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.6rc5, i'll try to compile custom kernel using this guide http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Amministra...ilazioneKernel (italian)

Comment

i receive error during compiling kernel.
                are there any news about a new version of catalyst driver wit AMDGPU integration for supporting xorg 1.18 and new kernel?

Comment

if i use powersave governor temperature decrease a bit (max around 60°)

Comment

It is ok temperature
                    are you sure? with proprietary driver i reach max 55° when is stressed.
                    the low temperatures are lower on open source driver (also 35° when is just started and 40/45° in idle) but maximum temperatures worries me, i don't know is dedicated gpu is really OFF or is making heat (there is any way to see if dedicated gpu is totally OFF and not making heat?), notebook is almost new (less than one year of life), i don't know that heat ruin it.

i'm trying to compile pf kernel 4.5

Check that your fan rpm increases
                    fan rpm works fine, when temperatures increases rpm increase, but with proprietary driver cpu fan was quieter, because also when i was playing with cs:go, borderlands 2/the pre sequel insurgency or other games, the maximum temperatures was 55-60°.

Amd has abandoned crimson, that is the last message from bridgman
                    but the idea of amd was to merge amd amdgpu with crimson (crimson user space and amdgpu kernel driver)... they changed plans about it? we'll nevers see a fusion with these 2 drivers?

....and CI dgpu support.
                    what is CI dgpu?
                    do you think that kernel 4.7 will better for amd carrizo notebook?

Comment

Working...
                    X