Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Kernel driver in use: amdgpu Kernel modules: amdgpu
    yes i know, but this is the reason of my dubs.
    lspci tell me that this gpu is topaz (so GCN 1.2 then use AMDGPU driver), on internet i found on specs of this gpu that has and Oland architecture (GCN 1.0), notebookcheck, says that this is a GCN 2.0 (what si GCN 2.0? not exists, actually we have only GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2).

AMD as opposed to Intel and Nvidia has very poor informations about his products on his site

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
      lspci tell me that this gpu is topaz (so GCN 1.2 then use AMDGPU driver), on internet i found on specs of this gpu that has and Oland architecture (GCN 1.0), notebookcheck, says that this is a GCN 2.0 (what si GCN 2.0? not exists, actually we have only GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2).

AMD as opposed to Intel and Nvidia has very poor informations about his products on his site
      AFAICS the information you are finding is all correct, it's just that anything saying Oland was correct a few years ago while anything saying Topaz is correct today. Topaz replaced Oland recently as the standard add-on dGPU for laptops with Hybrid Crossfire.

EDIT - actually pretty much everything in the game-debate page looks wrong. No idea where they got info from.

Some people use GCN 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 while others use 1, 2, 3. We generally call them GFX6, 7, 8. The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
      Last edited by bridgman; 03 May 2016, 03:07 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAICS the information you are finding is all correct, it's just that anything saying Oland was correct a few years ago while anything saying Topaz is correct today. Topaz replaced Oland recently as the standard add-on dGPU for laptops with Hybrid Crossfire.

EDIT - actually pretty much everything in the game-debate page looks wrong. No idea where they got info from.

Some people use GCN 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 while others use 1, 2, 3. We generally call them GFX6, 7, 8. The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
        thanks for answer, so there isn't problem if i use AMDGPU also for dgpu r7 m360? (ubuntu use this driver by default also for dedicated gpu).

Comment

If amdgpu recognizes the chip then shouldn't be a problem using it.

AFAICS we might have used the R7 M360 model on different chips at different times, Oland in the past and Topaz today, not sure though.

Iceland/Topaz has actually been available for quite a while so it's possible that it was actually launched last year as the 360 (in that case the 360 has always been Topaz).

Anyways, if you go by chip ID that usually works.
          Test signature

Comment

If amdgpu recognizes the chip then shouldn't be a problem using it.

AFAICS we might have used the R7 M360 model on different chips at different times, Oland in the past and Topaz today, not sure though.

Iceland/Topaz has actually been available for quite a while so it's possible that it was actually launched last year as the 360 (in that case the 360 has always been Topaz).

Anyways, if you go by chip ID that usually works.
            thanks, and what about temperatures of notebook? sometimes CPU temperature increse also to 70° while i'm using firefox (for example), but not always, now for example temperature is ok, infact is arount 50-55 and sometimes reach 60° (or little more, only for 1-2 seconds an then decrease again), furthermore now i've also tried to stressing CPU with 14tabs of firefox (one also with a youtube video 720p), and also glxgears running, but temperature is normal and CPU FAN is quiet.
            but other time also without youtube, also with less tabs opened (also only one) temperature increase a lot, and CPU FAN start increasing RPM.

i don't know why with opensource driver sometimes i've this problem, catalyst/crimson are ok (never over 55°).

AMDGPU is fine, performance are better than few months ago, low temperatures are lower than crimson (also 38° using battery), battery drain is similar.
            but i'm worried about high temperatures reached some times, also when pc isn't really stressed.

sorry for my english, but i'm italian

Comment

You should see my Italian, your English is just fine

It's possible that some of the most fiddly power saving HW features aren't being used yet, so first thought would be the integrated GPU heating up the package. Not sure though, one of the devs closer to the power mgmt would have to jump in.
              Test signature

Comment

... cgn 1.1 discrete gpus. Topaz is cgn 1.2, ...
                ... Topaz is cgn 1.2, ...
                What is "cgn"?
                Last edited by drSeehas; 04 May 2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

... See what happens when you select cgn 1.2 and from the right click menu choose search with google.
                  Google find an Android app.
                  What is the link?

Comment

You should see my Italian, your English is just fine

It's possible that some of the most fiddly power saving HW features aren't being used yet, so first thought would be the integrated GPU heating up the package. Not sure though, one of the devs closer to the power mgmt would have to jump in.
                    so in future (maybe with kernel 4.7 or with the AMDGPU-Pro/hybrid driver) the problem of sporadics increasing of temperature should be solved with an update?
                    now i'm also using blob proprietary firmware for cpu on ubuntu 16.04, can help?

APU AMD are fantastic, but i hope that in future temperature on linux will be lower and more stable. (on my girlfriend's notebook with A10 5750m + r5 m230 temperatures are perfect with radeon driver).
                    i'm worried that now that polaris is coming, carrizo and other old architecture will be abandonated and i will not receive optimizations for performance and power save/temperature

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post

What is "cgn"?
                      obviously "cgn" is an error, he meant "gcn", that is the architecture of recent AMD GPU (dedicated and integrated)

Comment

Working...
                      X