Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI OpenGL Compute Shader Patches Published

Phoronix: RadeonSI OpenGL Compute Shader Patches Published

Bas Nieuwenhuizen has published a patch-set for implementing an important OpenGL 4.3 feature: compute shaders for RadeonSI!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! This means I can fire up Alien:Isolation soon! :-D

Comment

Cool! Great news. It won't be long till 4.3 is complete on radeonsi!

Comment

Nobody has GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior yet, and it seems like it might be a PITA to implement rigorous bounds checking on buffers like that throughout the driver stack. RadeonSI might only need four extensions to reach 4.3, but there is always a reason they aren't already done - they are usually the hardest, or at least most annoying, ones to implement.

Comment

Having 4.3 running with compute shaders at first half of this year - never expected that to be honest, very positively surprised. Hail to all hackers/coders involved in this. For RadeonSI this is even more important, so amdgpu all-open stack would be capable to run OpenGL 4.3 games...

Comment

I hope we will see GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters in RadeonSi soon. Then OpenGL 4.2 would be complete on RadeonSI, 3 extensions are left for OpenGL 4.3, 3/4 extensions are left for OpenGL 4.4 and 4 extensions are left for OpenGL 4.5 support on RadeonSI.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Nobody has GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior yet, and it seems like it might be a PITA to implement rigorous bounds checking on buffers like that throughout the driver stack. RadeonSI might only need four extensions to reach 4.3, but there is always a reason they aren't already done - they are usually the hardest, or at least most annoying, ones to implement.
              I guess the thing is whether this is one of those extensions no one actually uses so you can just lie it exists through environment variable if blocking 4.3

Comment

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/111667.html says
                Nominally, GL_ARB_compute_shader requires GL 4.2. In practice, I think
                this means you need images *and* atomic counters.
                So without atomic counters, can it fully work?

Edit: Currently compiling llvm with all the stuff like clang. It's such a massive toolset. Is there an easy way to only build the part that the radeon driver requires?
                Last edited by haagch; 02 April 2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  So without atomic counters, can it fully work?
                  No, because shaders are written to expect those features to be there. However the question's largely academic -- Bas's patchset is based on Nicolai's implementation of SSBO/Atomic, so... you should have everything there.

Comment

Oh that made me actually look at his branch: https://github.com/BNieuwenhuizen/me...d4fd321855a518

So the actual news here is: We're almost at OpenGL 4.3.

Edit: EVERY TIME.
                    I made a normal release build of mesa and this happened when I starting Alien Isolation, right after initial loading screen:
                    Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]Thread 36 "WinMain" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. [/COLOR]
                    [Switching to Thread 0x7fffd406c700 (LWP 3966)]
                    0x00007fffe9808727 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
                    (gdb) bt
                    #0  0x00007fffe9808727 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
                    #1  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()[/FONT]
                    Yea, that's the complete backtrace.

Then I made a debug build of mesa and guess what. IT DOES NOT CRASH.

So right now I only know it happens here:
                    >0x7fffe9808727 orq $0x0,(%rsp)

Anyway, with a debug build of mesa I could try Alien Isolation and it still looks like this:

So sadly I can say: It's not because of missing compute shaders, there's still another problem in radeonsi. Reference: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93144
                    Last edited by haagch; 02 April 2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X